• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tom Tom Or Garmin GPS

The Volusianator

Tick Tock
I'm so confused, ( I know, easy to do) I'm looking for a newer GPS unit, I currently have the Magellan Meridian Color and don't care for it. I've been looking at either the Tom Tom Go 700 or the Garmin c550. Anybody have either of these and have any information on pros or cons of either. I could do more research, but need to order as I need it for next weekend.

Thanks, Wade

I was looing for SMALL and idiot proof. I wound up going with the TomTom ONE. It's also the cheapest, but I was really comparing it to the 910, and regardless of price, the size did it for me. The extra functionality was not really an extra to the degree that the size was a negative.

I have only heard reviews of Tom Tom as being good. I personally have a Garmin Cx that i really like. The 60 series has a faster chip set apparantly, but cost more too. Also with garmin, you need to purchase the Americas map, just factor in the price. I just like the compact easy to use unit as i drive alot. Your choice.

Wade,

I've been kicking that same decision around for a while. The revies I have seen all say the Garmin has a slight edge on the Tom Tom (Tom Tom is only well know for it's ads). The Garmin is around because they work well.

FYI, my cheap as has been looking around and if you hit eBay, you can get NIB last year models of both Tom Tom and Garmin for half of what the latest models are going for.

Drop me a line when you decide. I'm on the fence too.

Power Ranger in training :laugh:

I should mention that both of these have bluetooth capability which is something that I'm pretty interested in.

Guess I'm looking at if there's any differences in service, I was with a friend in Minneapolis a month or so back and his Tom Tom had trouble getting service downtown, not sure if the taller buildings had something to do with that.

Which has better mapping and so forth.

I should mention that both of these have bluetooth capability which is something that I'm pretty interested in.

Guess I'm looking at if there's any differences in service, I was with a friend in Minneapolis a month or so back and his Tom Tom had trouble getting service downtown, not sure if the taller buildings had something to do with that.

Which has better mapping and so forth.

i think your referring to a "echo" from buildings and canyons. a better chip will correct it. the map set of north america v8 is detailed, although doesnt show cigars shops :p

I've have been shopping for one also. I have friends that have both and the guys who have Tom Tom all like them but almost across the board they say when they upgrade it will be to the Garmin. The guys with Garmins aren't switching.

Also with garmin, you need to purchase the Americas map, just factor in the price.
Really! I got the impression that these were all in there already. That's one thing I don't want to get into is having to buy all the damn maps like I did for my Magellan. I guess when they say take it out of the box and go, I assumed those maps are already in there. Good info, thanks.

Not the answer you're looking for, but I have used Mapopolis for handheld devices. It was always on the money and very easy to use. I no longer use it cause Vegas is sooooo small, I can get around just using Windows Live on my Motorola Q.

I own the Garmin C550, IMHO...the menu's are very intuative, the directions are spot on, when you miss a turn, the recalculations are very fast, the FM traffic receiver (if available in your area) works very well, it alerts you of accidents and high volume traffic ahead of you and will/can re-route you around the problem. i plugged it in when i got it this past xmas, and the unit was ready to direct. Garmin gets my vote, they have consistant map and firmware updates on their site as well, just plug in the usb cable and hit a webupdate shortcut after you install the software. The size of the unit is very good and does not obstruct your vision. the bluetooth feature works well with my Moto razor V3 (you can call from the gps if your phone has this feature). it also allows you to look up and get directions to; resturants, atm's, banks, and more in the area you are traveling, as well as call the places, all through the gps unit. Also the anit-glare coating on the screen works very well.
I haven't used the TOMTOM, but on cnet, one of the complaints is the mount is prone to breaking and is of poor design.

edit to add comment

Also with garmin, you need to purchase the Americas map, just factor in the price.
Really! I got the impression that these were all in there already. That's one thing I don't want to get into is having to buy all the damn maps like I did for my Magellan. I guess when they say take it out of the box and go, I assumed those maps are already in there. Good info, thanks.

NOT TRUE, comes preloaded with maps of the US and Canada...you need to purchase the European maps and South America if you are traveling there.
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp550/

I had both the Tom Tom and the Garmin Nuvi 350. The Nuvi 350 is BY FAR easier to use, smaller and better with mapping (IMHO of course).

If my wife can use it w/o reading the manual, it's good to go out of the box. :thumbs:

Hope this helps
~Mark

OK, just spoke to Matt at Garmin tec support and he verified that the maps are included. The only maps you'd need to purchase are the upgrades that they put out every 12-15 months, they're $75. Currently they're at version 8 and version 9 will be out in April or May. He also said you can skip version 9 and purchase version 10 in 2008 with no ill effects.

I'll say this, the Garmin tec support area was very easy to reach, you don't have to search for an hour to find a number and then go through a maze of prerecorded bs to get to a live person. He was friendly, informative and willing to help. I'm ordering mine today!

Thanks to all those who answered.

Wade

Wade, you're easily pursuaded.. :D
:blush: Got any Opus!?
Wade, FYI, the garmin site indicates map version 8 right now, but there is a firmware update from 2/15/07, when you get the unit, power it up and it has to load all the maps (takes about 5 min), i personally would update the firmware shortly thereafter and there are free icons as well you can get via that webupdater proggie that cames with the gps.
Rob