• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Torch Lighter Problems

gibu

I have been buying $5-$6 torch lighters for years and I can never get them to work after refilling them. I have given up on them mostly and have just been using disposable lighters for quite a while here now. When smoking out side though a torch is way more convienent and handy, so much so that I have been using them again this summer and hate to go back to regular disposables again.

My latest torch has a clear window on the side making it easy to see how much butane is inside. Once this one ran out I tried to refill it again and again am having trouble with it not wanting to work just like all the others I have had in the past. It clearly is has plenty of butane in it, but the flame is very weak when there is one, and often the flame wont even ignite at all. I drained the refill and filled it a second time from a different can of butane thinking the butane may be at fault in some way, but it still doesn't work very well. I really have no idea what the problem is.

I'm reluctant to purchase a more expensive lighter because I don't want to waste the money if I can't refill it either. On the other hand, perhaps my refilling problems are something to do with the quality of the lighters I've been trying to use.

What are everyone elses experiences with refilling torch lighters? What could I be doing wrong?

gibu said:
I have been buying $5-$6 torch lighters for years and I can never get them to work after refilling them. I have given up on them mostly and have just been using disposable lighters for quite a while here now. When smoking out side though a torch is way more convienent and handy, so much so that I have been using them again this summer and hate to go back to regular disposables again.

My latest torch has a clear window on the side making it easy to see how much butane is inside. Once this one ran out I tried to refill it again and again am having trouble with it not wanting to work just like all the others I have had in the past. It clearly is has plenty of butane in it, but the flame is very weak when there is one, and often the flame wont even ignite at all. I drained the refill and filled it a second time from a different can of butane thinking the butane may be at fault in some way, but it still doesn't work very well. I really have no idea what the problem is.

I'm reluctant to purchase a more expensive lighter because I don't want to waste the money if I can't refill it either. On the other hand, perhaps my refilling problems are something to do with the quality of the lighters I've been trying to use.

What are everyone elses experiences with refilling torch lighters? What could I be doing wrong?
I have been using multiple Colibri torch lighters over the past year without any issues. I have one that I use for cigars and one for cigarettes. I use Lava butane in both of them. Make sure you purge the air out of the tank prior to filling.

I've had nothing but trouble with cheap torches myself. I now primarily use a Blazer and it never fails me. They run about $40 and are well worth it.

A couple of things you could try with your cheapies is purging real good and blowing out the nozzle with compressed air. Also as Michael says be sure and use a high quality Butane like Lava or Vector.

Just to echo what everyone else said.

I too purchased way to many cheapo torches that never worked after refilling.

I'm now using a Colibri which hasn't failed me after several refills.

Instructions on the colibri.. Turn flame to almost the lowest. Charge for 5 seconds. Wait 30-60 seconds and repeat as needed. For whatever reason, this seems to help.

If you have refilled the lighter with Ronson butane in the White bottle with Red and Black lettering it has likely caused the jets to clog. The canned air procedure lucasbuck described can clear up carbon buildup in the jet if you have used Ronson or other inexpesive butane in it.

Use "triple refined" "ultra pure" or Butane with similar mumbo jumbo on the label. Get Lava or Vector butane if you can find it, Colibri if you can't (colibri is more expensive and isn't any better IMO)

I had bad luck with refills until I RTFM'd, follow these steps when you refill:

1) Always purge your jet lighter before filling it. Take a screwdriver/pen tip/knife and depress the fill valve and let the air escape. Once the flow of air slows/stops shake the lighter vigorously and purge it again. Repeat until your satisfied the built up pressure is gone.

2) Turn the flame control all the way to the bottom (towards the "-" sign)

3) Turn the lighter upside down and place it on a hard flat surface

4) Shake the hell out of the refill can

5) Insert refill can nozzle into fill valve and count off 15 - 20 seconds

6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 several times depending on the size of your lighter. If the lighter has a view tank check level; note it isn't possible to have all the air gone (there will be a bubble even if you have purged it properly)

I suspect you have a combination of a clogged jet and built up gas pressure. Hopefully this works for you. I am using a $7 Nibo lighter currently and have refilled many times with no discernable drop in performance.

If you want to get a more expensive lighter I would recommend looking at Blazer, Vector KGM, Nibo,

If you look at Colibri lighters IMO save your money and look at their less expensive Firebird line. I have broken 3 of the $80 - $100 Colibri lighters but haven't managed to break my $18 Firebird.

Matt

I guess ditto with what the crowd is saying. Most important thing IMHO is to bleed the tank before you refill. I have 2 Colibri lighters that I use regularly for the past 3 years and never one problem. Maybe I'm just lucky ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I need to shop somewhere for the better butane I think is probably my biggest problem. I live in a tiny town and the red and white ronson is all we have here. A budy had some in a silver can I cant remember the name of but I dont think it was any of the ones mentioned so far either. I'll bet it's the butane I've been using though.

Thanks again guys. It's much appreciated.

I was thinking about one of those torches someone posted about a while back that can fit into a zippo case. I definatly need a nicer torch though and some better fuel for it.

They're out of stock. ???

Kind of strange to have a store that sells one item and be out of it. :0

haha I get the colibri butane for less then $2.00 around here.. I cant see it being much cheaper and its the perfect size bottle and nozzle to fill my colibri.