• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tower Humidor

MandyPi

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off n
I have a tower humidor with an Avallo System. I have two recently tested hygrometers. Each of the hygrometers are attached to the front edge of the shelves (one near the top shelf and one near the bottom shelf). The Avallo's hygrometer is located against the back wall near the top (it's also been recently checked for accuracy). I have the Avallo set to 65% and the Avallo hygrometer located in the back is reading that number; however, the other two hygrometers located near the front of the humidor are reading 69%.

Is there any reason why the front and backs of the tower would have such big differences?

Edited: Also, both canisters are located against the back walls (one near the top and the other near the bottom)

Is there any large sorce of light near your tower? I could only think if the temps are higher in the front could cause the RH to go up.

I have a tower humidor with an Avallo System. I have two recently tested hygrometers. Each of the hygrometers are attached to the front edge of the shelves (one near the top shelf and one near the bottom shelf). The Avallo's hygrometer is located against the back wall near the top (it's also been recently checked for accuracy). I have the Avallo set to 65% and the Avallo hygrometer located in the back is reading that number; however, the other two hygrometers located near the front of the humidor are reading 69%.

Is there any reason why the front and backs of the tower would have such big differences?

Edited: Also, both canisters are located against the back walls (one near the top and the other near the bottom)

check your temp readings on the hygros. are you seeing a temp difference between the top and bottom of the cabinet?

Are there any fans moving the air?

Do you have the option that kicks on the fans every hour? If not, I would guess circulation may be the issue.

Also, how big is the tower? I keep both cannisters on the bottom at the back wall.

In a tall cabinet, you can see a 2 or 3 point temp difference from top to bottom. This alone can cause a 4 or 5 point difference in humidity readings.

Is there any large sorce of light near your tower? I could only think if the temps are higher in the front could cause the RH to go up.

Well, it has a glass door that runs the entire front of the humidor, but I have noticed these RH differences in the day and in the night.

check your temp readings on the hygros. are you seeing a temp difference between the top and bottom of the cabinet?

The temp readings are all the same or off by maybe one point.

Are there any fans moving the air?

Do you have the option that kicks on the fans every hour? If not, I would guess circulation may be the issue.

Also, how big is the tower? I keep both cannisters on the bottom at the back wall.

Here's an old pic.....
gallery_7402_532_24835.jpg

Yes single pane glass is a terrible insulator. You may want to add some type of tint shield to help with that. Also I'm assuming that both the temperature and humidity is rising in Florida, that will have a significant effect on your cabinet. What do you have the central A/C set at and does it keep your house at that constant?

Hmm...I think you need someone to check that out firsthand.

Why don't you ship that up my way, and I'll send you weekly reports throughout the year. Oh, and don't bother emptying it.

:sign: :sign: :sign:

p.s. Addy is in the profile. HeHe

I'm probably missing something, but a difference of 4% between two hygometers located in different locations is not a big difference to me. Say if each is only off by 1-2%, that would explain the difference. Also, especially without a fan, there will be some variation throughout the cabinet.

I agree.

Remember that you can play around with fan location, canister location ,and sensor location to try to make things perfect. Is it worth the effort? Thats up to you.