• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Traveling with Cigars

cpprhead59

We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of d
I searched for some input on this but I was unable to find anything.

I have to head out of town to a conference in the Caribbean in a few weeks for 3 days. I assure you it is all work related, at least that is what I am telling my wife who will not be joining me.

Is there anything special I would need to do to cigars I am planning on taking with me when traveling? I have an Xikar leather case I was going to pack in my luggage along with a cheapo cutter but the only problem is that I don't think 3 smokes are enough and I am not really interested in buying any from the locals since the authenticity of the smokes there is in question.

Would I be able to just use a zip-lock bag with some smokes in it in addition to my Xikar leather case?

Do I need to keep pack them in a certain way in my suitcase?

Any help is welcomed.
Terry

I'd go with the zip lock bag route. The biggest problem with travelling with anything of value is the TSA folks. Not to paint with a broad brush but in recent years its gotten pretty bad. So if there is a chance that someone will swipe your smokes from your bag no need to get the case stolen too. Also if you are taking a carry on and only taking a few cigars I would keep them in my carry on luggage rather than checked luggage. That said its definitely better to travel with your own sticks. You are correct the quality in the Caribbean tourist sites are suspect at best.

Search is really an easy function here!

Travel Humidor, then look at the oldest threads first and all your answers are there.

I recommend carry-on rather than checked luggage---it gets COLD in the baggage bay, and the air pressure changes. Flat tupperdor is what I take, with cigars in five-finger baggies inside it, and a water pillow . . . that's overkill, but I'm a little bit OCD about my smokes. :rolleyes:

~Boar

I recommend carry-on rather than checked luggage---it gets COLD in the baggage bay, and the air pressure changes. Flat tupperdor is what I take, with cigars in five-finger baggies inside it, and a water pillow . . . that's overkill, but I'm a little bit OCD about my smokes. :rolleyes:

~Boar

I am too and that is why I am asking. Thanks for the insight.

Do not go the ziplock bag route, unless you want your cigars to get wrecked. Do not put them in your check-in luggage, unless (assuming they are not stolen by TSA) you want them to get wrecked.

A tupperdor is probably the easiest way to get by. Think of packing your cigars for travel the same way you would pack them to be shipped anywhere. Some type of hard outer shell, and very little movement inside. If your cigars are free to move around and rub against each other you will arrive at your destination with broken wrappers and tobacco dust.

Do not go the ziplock bag route, unless you want your cigars to get wrecked. Do not put them in your check-in luggage, unless (assuming they are not stolen by TSA) you want them to get wrecked.

A tupperdor is probably the easiest way to get by. Think of packing your cigars for travel the same way you would pack them to be shipped anywhere. Some type of hard outer shell, and very little movement inside. If your cigars are free to move around and rub against each other you will arrive at your destination with broken wrappers and tobacco dust.

I am thinking of going with my Xikar 3 stick leather case and a zip-lock bag tucked inside a tupperdor both of which I will have in my carry on.

I used to have the same problem when I traveled. How many cigars to take, how to keep them humidified, how to keep them from getting crushed.....

I solved it by getting a 10-count Otterbox for longer trips and a 2-count for day trips or smaller outings. For my ten count I got a small tube of beads that I keep in my Vinotemp, I used to use packs but making sure they were fresh got to be a little bit of hassle. The tube takes up a little room so its really a 9-count now, but its air-tight, crush proof, waterproof, and generally built like the brick-sh!t house. If you look around on CP you will occasionally see a vendor running a group buy on things like this at a very good price.

Brandon

ps. I remember a thread about carrying you cutter with you, someone posted a link to the TSA page where it states that you are allowed to carry the cutter on with you and they recommended printing that page and highlighting the specific section to show to the TSA agent if there was any problem

Otter Box. That's what is was made for.

Doc.

Swung by a local B&M on a whim yesterday and picked up a nice travel-dor. It should work out just fine.

Thanks for the help gang.