• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tribute to those who have fallen protecting our freedom

woodbm

Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke
As we fire up the grills and enjoy our cigars this weekend, Please take a moment to remember those who have fallen protecting the very freedom that allows us to do so. Also, thank a veteran and active duty member of our Armed Forces for serving. God Bless and Semper Fidelis! Have a great weekend everyone!

Memorial Day Tribute Video

Price%20of%20Fredom.jpg

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the
VETERAN who
salutes the Flag,

Thanks to those who gave their lives to gain and preserve our freedom and to those currently serving. RIP Leo Rice and Everett Parkinson.

What you may not have known:

Originally, the Memorial Day holiday was known as "Decoration Day." It was started by a Civil War general named Gen. John Logan, who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic. General Logan sought a way to help the country come back together after the horrors and divide of the Civil War.

The holiday was first observed on May 30, 1868, and Gen. Logan chose that date for two very important reasons: First, the day did not mark the anniversary of a Civil War battle, and second "flowers would likely be in bloom all over the United States." Indeed, many took flowers to Arlington National Cemetery, an activity that still occurs every year.

Memorial Day, despite having been around for over 100 years in one form or another, didn't become an official federal holiday until 1971, when Congress passed the National Holiday Act. This created a three-day weekend at the end of May. Prior to this, different states observed the holiday on different days.

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the
VETERAN who
salutes the Flag,

Amen!

Thanks Ray. I shot this info out to everybody at my department for the weekend.

Thanks for the post Wood-

May we never get to the point that Great Britain is at today where on their version of Memorial day- Remembrance Day- in 2003 over 75% of the Britains age 18-45 didn't even know what the day meant except that it was a "Bank Holiday"....

May we never regress that far!

Cheers and well done to all the Vets and to all the Men and Women still serving and to all the Vets here on CP.

Rob

I took my first trip out to the National Cemetery out where I live to see what it looks like. I didn't realize so many Veterans have been buried there. I saw a few from other countries as well. What really shocked me was how many Unknown Soldiers is buried here. They have some really old ones from the Civil War to the present time.

They also was redoing the top soil on about half of the cemetery. It was a humbling experience to walk the grounds. I took my friend out there and he found out that he had relatives buried there so we are going back tomorrow so he can pay his respects. I know, I know...I even cried a little even being a Disabled Veteran myself. When I pass by the exit ramp on the Interstate going down to KC and back, I always say a thank you while looking at the direction where the all the Veterans have been laid to rest at.

I took my first trip out to the National Cemetery out where I live to see what it looks like. I didn't realize so many Veterans have been buried there. I saw a few from other countries as well. What really shocked me was how many Unknown Soldiers is buried here. They have some really old ones from the Civil War to the present time.

They also was redoing the top soil on about half of the cemetery. It was a humbling experience to walk the grounds. I took my friend out there and he found out that he had relatives buried there so we are going back tomorrow so he can pay his respects. I know, I know...I even cried a little even being a Disabled Veteran myself. When I pass by the exit ramp on the Interstate going down to KC and back, I always say a thank you while looking at the direction where the all the Veterans have been laid to rest at.

Have you ever gone to D.C. and seen the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier? Such a moving sight. It's sad how many people (mostly younger kids) have no idea what the price of freedom really is.

Anyway, if you have never been (or anybody else that is into this kind of stuff), I would highly recommend it. Lot's of other great history there at D.C. naturally as well. But this is my favorite.

1st Lt. Peter T. Limoge – 3 Nov 1992
Lt. j.g. Kenneth D. Roberts – 3 Nov 1992
Lt. Charles R. Gurley – 3 Nov 1992

Capt David E. Bowser – 24 Mar 1995

Capt Gregory O. Glaeser – 23 Aug 1996
LtCol Joseph E. Connell II – 23 Aug 1996
Maj John S. Bacheller – 23 Aug 1996
Capt Brian F. Hussey – 23 Aug 1996

Capt. Andrew Muhs – 20 Apr 2002

SSgt. John H. Roy III – 25 Mar 2009

Rest In Peace my friends.

Have you ever gone to D.C. and seen the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier? Such a moving sight. It's sad how many people (mostly younger kids) have no idea what the price of freedom really is.

Anyway, if you have never been (or anybody else that is into this kind of stuff), I would highly recommend it. Lot's of other great history there at D.C. naturally as well. But this is my favorite.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above statements but if you truly want to be humbled go to the Verdun Cemetery or the American Cemetery at Colleville -sur-Mer www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/no.php

The cemetery sits right above the battle site where almost all of these men fell (Omaha Beach) they all died during the opening weeks of the Normandy invasion... it was truly humbling to see all those white crosses and stars of david lined up along the bluffs overlooking the beaches and the English Channel. I've been three times and every time I get just as choked up as the first.

Truly humbling.

R

A thank you to all military men and women past and present especially those that gave up thier live to keep America free......

Marine Lcpl William D. Frantz, 20, of Schuylkill Haven PA.
Killed In Action 17 October 1968 - Republic of Vietnam

Marine Cpl. Ian W. Stewart,
21, of Lake Hughes, California.
Killed in Action 12 December 2004 - Al Anbar Province Iraq

LtCol. David P. Cooley USAF (Ret) - (Feb. 15, 1960 – March 25, 2009) was a Lockheed test pilot and retired United States Air Force (USAF) officer, responsible for developmental flight testing of the F-117 Nighthawk.
He was killed while flying a test mission in an F-22 Raptor jet fighter at Edwards AFB., Ca.

Maj. Mark P. Graziano USAF - (October 20, 1978 - May 21, 2009) was killed in the crash of his T-38 supersonic trainer while conducting a test mission at Edwards AFB, Ca. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery

I didn't fight for your freedom and I don't know anyone that did. I didn't fight for your rights and I don't know anyone who did. I fought for the SOB beside me. Same as he. And that's the truth.

Doc.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life". That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Thank You to all that served or are currently serving.

I am a veteran and proud of it.

Alan