• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Fundadore '98

Eins

Do you know those movies where you pay your admission and then sit through the full 90 minutes, thinking that it must get good at some point, until you see the credits and ask yourself why you didn't leave after the popcorn?

I just saw such a movie.

After enjoying a juicy and grilled-to-perfection rib eye steak, I took on my first ever Fundadore. It was a '98 out of Brown Devil's box split. The "desert" was delicious: it smelled ever so promising, I couldn't stop breathing in the rich scents of what only good, aged, Cuban tobacco can deliver.

It had started to rain, so I set up my chair under the faux balcony on my back patio, with a nice view of a lush green slope with red and yellow wild flowers everywhere. Celebrating the toasting of the foot, I lit up, waited a few tens of seconds, and then drew my first few puffs. At that point, I called my buddy, a very seasoned cigar smoker, and told him I'd bring him my only other Fundi tomorrow, because I was going to order a whole box. In other words, I was delighted, in heaven. I was looking forward to what started to be my best ever smoking experience.

But then something went awefully wrong. I started noticing that there was never really a lot of smoke coming out, but I couldn't find any leaks. I had experienced full, creamy smoke before, but none of that here. My tongue went crazy around my palate, searching for those intoxicating sensations that good cigars deliver, but there were none. Only a spicy aftertaste, and I am just avoiding to say bitter.

Like in that movie, I held on to it, patient and persistent, hoping for something to kick in. At the beginning of the last third, something did kick. Like that last twitch before death. It went out.

I let it cool down and relit. Back to normal, with nothing to write home about, until I finally gave up about an inch before the end. I left before the credits and tossed it far into the bushes.

:0 Absolutely dreadful story. I've smoked these puppies before (not this batch of 98s) and have always loved them.

I guess I'm gonna have to take them out of resting and smoke one this weekend to see if it jives with your notes. Plus, in addition to you having some of this batch, Texasaero and Norcalcigarlover each took a share of these, not to mention one or two of these were taken from the pass you put them in. We should get a poll going, although I'm hoping (praying actually) maybe that one smoke was just off or that yummy steak ruined it for ya. Grasping at straws here now, and trying to hope for the best ???

Well Arno, wish it had been better for ya!

:thumbs:

On second thought, I don't want to ruin it for you, maybe it is just that this newbie is inexperienced in recognizing grandeur in cigar smokes. :(

Eins said:
On second thought, I don't want to ruin it for you, maybe it is just that this newbie is inexperienced in recognizing grandeur in cigar smokes. :(
[snapback]166643[/snapback]​

Heh just like I shared with you via PM, when I was a newb, my first havana was a Cohiba Robusto and I hated it (sorry lucasbuck), now they are one of my favorites :love:

I am sorry the cigar did not live up to expectations. I hate it when I sit down and get my mind and tastebuds all pumped for what should be a great smoke and then... fzzzztt... dissapointment...

It was an excellent review, tho. Keep 'em coming! :thumbs:

Sounds like you may have had a dud. One note about these skinny buggers. You've got to smoke them real slow and easy. Long, slow, infrequent draws are the key to a good smoking experience. Lanceros are one of my favorite sticks and the surest way to ruin one is to smoke it too fast. The worst thing is they are so good this is easier said then done :D

lucasbuck said:
Long, slow, infrequent draws are the key to a good smoking experience.
[snapback]166815[/snapback]​

That's what I did. 90 minutes it took me to get to the end.

A dud, huh? Shoulda smoked one from your sampler :thumbs:

I haven't touched them yet guys. Not planning to til winter breaks past 40F which is a long way off.

But let's amuse the crowd with a quote from Min Ron Nee's book

"The intervening 'vacuum period' between the first maturity and the second maturity I would call the 'first vacuum period' "

MRN states

"The pleasant flavours are not present in sufficient amounts and are masked by the tannic taste"

I don't subscribe to some of MRN's aging practices or opinions. But if he is right. Then we won't see good taste til 15-25 years for the second maturation.

Shall we wait?!? :laugh:

texasaero said:
I don't subscribe to some of MRN's aging practices or opinions. But if he is right. Then we won't see good taste til 15-25 years for the second maturation.

Shall we wait?!? :laugh:
[snapback]166857[/snapback]​

I think NOT :laugh:

Sorry Eins its the worst when you are really looking forward to or just had a $hit&* day and need a good smoke and all you get is The Matrix re-loaded :angry:

lucasbuck said:
Sounds like you may have had a dud. One note about these skinny buggers. You've got to smoke them real slow and easy. Long, slow, infrequent draws are the key to a good smoking experience. Lanceros are one of my favorite sticks and the surest way to ruin one is to smoke it too fast. The worst thing is they are so good this is easier said then done :D
[snapback]166815[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info. no way this cigar is for me. Im lucky if any cigar lasts an hour.

moki said:
You see? Always 1998! ;)
[snapback]167204[/snapback]​

Hello Moki,
I was actually hoping you would comment on this review, with your vast experience.
I'm at a total loss interpreting your brief comment, though. Would you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Arno

In case he didn't subscribe to this thread, I think he's having fun pointing out everyone is smoking 98s lately. But it doesn't have anything to do with them coming from the same source or anything :whistling: :laugh: