• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tunneling Cigars

PSTAN

Here lately some of the cigars that I have smoked tunneled on me. The coolidor stays around 65 - 68 RH with the same temperature ranges so I am puzzeled about this. What can be the reasons that this happens?

I'd take a little more time toasting the foot, making sure the wrapper and leaves get nice and red before attempting to smoke. If it still tunnels, you can always take your cutter and cut off the tunneled portion, then start over.

Are you stabilizing your sticks for at least a few weeks in the humi before smoking? You may also want to drop your rh a few points in to the low 60's.

Thank you guys for the advice. I try to leave all new sticks in the humi for several weeks before I smoke it. I will lower the RH to see if it works out. Not all of the cigars are doing it so I am leaning toward the bad "lighting" issue but I will try both.

Thanks
Phillip

I usually try to light the outside portion before toasting the bottom. I dont recall who suggested this, but it helps keep the tunneling from happening, by giving the wrapper a head start. Good luck! :thumbs:

lucasbuck said:
Are you stabilizing your sticks for at least a few weeks in the humi before smoking? You may also want to drop your rh a few points in to the low 60's.
[snapback]166794[/snapback]​

I thought for aging low sixties is sucky? I guess you are talking about smoking not aging :whistling:

Aging, smoking, lost but not forgotten or whatever, I still like the low 60's best :)

I had a pleasurable smoke this evening, following the given suggestions but I couldn't help but wonder how this cigar could hold such a long ash. I taped it hard enough and this is what I got.

IMG_1992.jpg

It took a little while but I finally got the big vein out of it. :laugh: