• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ugh, from somewhat of a vet, back to a newb, HELP

IanHummel

So here is the breakdown.

Bought a 3,000 count cabinet from CBid. It arrived, I seasoned for about 2 weeks. The second part of that I slowly removed the water dishes and replaced them with beads. Everything seemed ok when I loaded it up. I filled the cab up and put about 3.5lbs of beads in it (in individual half lb bags, some of the bags are 70%, some are 65% just as my coolers and vino's were, they sat right at 67%) throughout the cab. A few days later, I check the humidity, and it's tanked to 55%. Then it moved between 52 and 55%. So I purchased a Hydra and put it in last night.

2 hours later, hell breaks loose. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. The Hydra is beeping because it's empty? Can't be. Sure enough, I pull it out, and it accepts a good amount of water. Not a full fill, but some. 2 hours later, repeat the process. This has been going on since last night. Over and over again.

The digital hygro is reading about 6-7% below the one on the Hydra. The hydra, at the time of it last running out was up to almost 60% though. From what I've read, the Hydra's hygrometer is very accurate, so I'm thinking the digital is off. I have since replaced the batter in the little digital and placed it in my vino which I know is rock solid 65% and will read it in a few hours.

I guess what I'm thinking is since the cabinet has 30-40 boxes in it, plus a good amount of singles, since adding all that, they sucked the humidity out of the cabinet and the cabinet is technically not seasoned anymore which is why the Hydra is constantly pumping humidity through the fan and I guess it's getting absorbed by the humidor and all the cedar boxes. Does this seem right?

Lastly, I've read that people has gutted the floral foam out of their Hydra and Cigar Oasis units and filled them up with absorbed water jewels or cracked ice (the stuff that is bought at a Michael's craft store that absorbs water up to 200% of it's weight). Would this help or am I just better off continually filling the Hydra and let the problem hopefully fix itself.

Ok, I'm done. lol.

No idea what is wrong with the hydra, but my cabinet did the same thing once I loaded it up. I think the initial shock of adding 40 boxes into a cabinet just drops the rH%.... mine took about a week and a half to restabilize once I added things. Now its stable at 62%. Did you refill the beads and whatnot when it dropped? Also, if you open it , the humidity escapes fairly quickly. Mine will drop to 45% in a matter of minutes with it just being open and dry outside.

I'm convinced the Hydra is broken. The alarm went off AGAIN just now, and it's completely full of water, and I just filled it up about an hour and a half ago. Not very happy about this.

Is this the regular-sized Hydra? (single fan) If so, then maybe the adjustment knob on the Hydra got bumped?

However, with the pre-Hydra drop into the 50's, a lot of moisture has been lost for some reason. Even though it is a new humi, I'd double-check the seal. More than likely some re-seasoning will be needed, as you suggest.

Now that the humi was in the 50%'s, a Hydra is going to work overtime recovering the RH - you may have to spray your beads every couple days to help things along. Over-worked Hydra's do weird things. Mine has. Un-plugging the unit for a couple minutes always seems to fix it, though. (One then has to re-enter the desired RH. The default is 70%, and the Hydra will go nuts trying to hydrate 65% beads ... )

Note that, if you have any, it'll take a while for loose un-cello'd sticks to fully recover from that much water loss. Supposedly 5%/week increase up to 64%RH, and 1%/week thereafter, will avoid wrapper damage. That worked out okay for me ...

Good luck! :)

I know you said that you had it split between 65/70 % beads... my understanding of the "technology" is that it will try to keep it at 70% until it runs out of moisture to do so then will try to keep it at 65% there's no blending of RH's that goes on by mixing beads. However, this should have nothing to do with your RH being in the 50s.

Ery

Ok, got up this morning, and guess what, NO ALARM. lol. This is probably due to me placing 6 half sponges throughout the humidor last night on plates. Not only was there no alarm, but the cabinet was at 69% (Hydra is set to 65%) so not only was the humidity finally up, but the hydra fan didn't even have to run most of the night. I pulled 2 sponges out, and will continue to pull 1 sponge per day until all 5 are gone. It seems to be that like some have said on other forums, the cabinet was still absorbing humidity, and then when I filled it up, the boxes were absorbing the humidity as well and the hydra just couldn't keep up. I think by the end of the week everything will be stabilized and fixed.

The reason the Hydra's alarm was going off so much is because everything it was putting out was getting absorbed. Intern, the humidity levels weren't going up, so the Hydra thought there was no water and started beeping. The thing is smarter than I thought, lol.

So... what I'm gathering from this is that you have to be smarter than a humidifier to successfully operate one.

:p :laugh: