• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ugh, what do beetles taste like?

Tony Bones

Grundalier
First, the good news:

My humidor never gets near 70 degrees and this was a gifted cigar.

But...I smoked a BBF two nights ago and noticed a few little holes in the ash. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I also thought I heard some uncommon crackling noises from the stick while it burnt.

All that said, it tasted OK? Just wondering who has had similar experiences.

I've had the crackling sound before. Never a hole in the ash. I would imagine they'd taste pretty nasty.

I think they are small enough, that they simply add a subtle flavor that we might call, Meat! :0

Seriously though, I have been told that it would be very uncommon to smoke a good cigar that did NOT have eggs in it and I assume that goes for larva as well. The larva is actually what would be in the cigar, not the beetle. I have smoked several cigars that had holes in them from Larva. Tasted fine to me :p

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. :0

I know I smoked some yard gars that had beetle holes. They pop! when you cook them! :D

Just ran across a beetle in a C-bid Puros Indios. Left the Otter Box in the car and voila...Beetle hole. Since my humi is in the basement it never gets above 70 F. I threw it out the window since the thougt of smoking a live beetle was not appealing. I usually get my snap, crackle pop for breakfast. Do those little dudes try and escape the heat by running through the cigar toward the head? :D What if they make it? :D

Yep, more often than you would like to know, you can rest assured you've smoked some beetle eggs. Beetles themselves? Probably not. Once the eggs hatch and advance to the point of becoming full-fledged beetles, they've likely long escaped and your left with your swiss-cheese looking travesty. At this point you'd hopefully realize the piece of sh*t you're holding and throw it out, not smoke it. But who knows, maybe I give too much credit. :sign: :sign:

See, beetles burrow out of the sticks. The odds that you've been chasing a beetles' ass with the lit end of your stick as it scurries up your cigar (cracking noise???) are probably pretty slim. Otherwise, you'd wind up with a mouthfull of them and would damn sure know what they taste like.

Speaking of beetles, it just occurred to me that this is probably Drew Estate's next idea for a cigar: the beetle-rado. Nothing but pure, rolled up long-filler beetles. Why not? I mean, after all, Drew has dreamed up every other perversion that has befallen cigars. ;)

By my somewhat flawed logic, the ones with holes in them would be more pure tobacco than the intact ones.

In the intact ones you KNOW there are eggs in the cigar that you are smoking. The holes are just a sign that the larvae have burrowed out, leaving only tobacco for your smoking pleasure!

Found another hole in another cigar today. I am just pondering the question "How do they get the holes perfectly round?" ???

Lumberg said:
By my somewhat flawed logic, the ones with holes in them would be more pure tobacco than the intact ones.

In the intact ones you KNOW there are eggs in the cigar that you are smoking. The holes are just a sign that the larvae have burrowed out, leaving only tobacco for your smoking pleasure!
So by this logic we should put our cigars in a nice, moist, warm place above 75 and let the little buggers bore through.

That way we'd have nice, beetleless, holey cigars. I like it.