• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ultralight Laptop

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
I’m looking to pick up a small one so I can carry it on the mile plus walk to class and use during my office hours to listen to music, grade reports, email, surf the web, etc. I want hard drive space and 3G, so I’m leaning toward the Acer Aspire One with 1.6 ghz, 1gig of RAM, 120HD model for about $400. My only real concern is battery life, but I think I’ll be okay with the six cell battery.

Anyone bought one yet?

If that laptop is running Vista 1GB of memory won't be enough. The laptop will perform like crap, as it's probably running 70 processes or more right out of the box. Plan on upgrading the memory if you get it.

Other than that I've had good luck with Acers. I used to resell them.

Oh, and dim the screen brightness when on battery. Get it as low as it is comfortable for you to see. This is the biggest drain on battery life.

Keith

PM me your email addy and I'll forward our employee discount email to you. I just got sent a special on the Lenovo x-series ultraportable laptop.

I saw a Dell XPS 1330 on sale at staples. I think it was like 650. If I didn't just buy my 1420 I'd be all over it.

Not quite an ultralight, but I just bought an HP nc6400 on the Bay. Not as light as my old Dell D410 (although when you factor in the peripheral DVD-R, it's lighter), but quite good, very fast, and built solid. I'd recommend the IBM X series and the Dell D400 series.

You might want to take account of the pointing device.I like pointer sticks (the little rubber dot at the center of a keyboard) rather than touchpads, and every laptop I've bought has one. They also "save space" in that you don't move your hands off the home row while using the mouse. Personal preference, though.

Yeah, I got the acer. It's metallic blue. Only two pounds. It's got a small screen, but man is it nice. The trackpad needs a redesign, but aside from that it's nice. You can find new ones onsale with the 6 cell battery for $429.

Yeah, I got the acer. It's metallic blue. Only two pounds. It's got a small screen, but man is it nice. The trackpad needs a redesign, but aside from that it's nice. You can find new ones onsale with the 6 cell battery for $429.

I was looking at getting one of these. Are there any reputable places that has a good deal on them? So far Ive seen them at Amazon and costco.com (come with a mouse at costco) for under 400.00.

TIA

I saw the aspire one on buy.com for 200 and change. The netbooks are seeming more and more appealing - small screens, sure, but killer battery life. Many of them (MSI Wind, Acer Aspire One) will run tweaked versions of OS X without problems. Which, of course, you will buy a full license for ... cough cough.

I’m looking to pick up a small one so I can carry it on the mile plus walk to class and use during my office hours to listen to music, grade reports, email, surf the web, etc. I want hard drive space and 3G, so I’m leaning toward the Acer Aspire One with 1.6 ghz, 1gig of RAM, 120HD model for about $400. My only real concern is battery life, but I think I’ll be okay with the six cell battery.

Anyone bought one yet?

We bought one for my Mother In Law, this past Christmas. She loves it. We paid 375.00 after taxes. It was not real easy to find leading up to Christmas. Now it might be easier to find. It's competant.

I am not very computer savvy, but a friend that knows more than I do told me to get the one with "XP" versus the "Vista", which is what we did. He said that Vista ate up too many resources for this computers specs.
I don't know if that is factual.

PM me your email addy and I'll forward our employee discount email to you. I just got sent a special on the Lenovo x-series ultraportable laptop.

My T500 gets delivered ...uhhhh today since it is after midnight :thumbs: