• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

undesirable flavor from humidor?

elpresidente

Reaction score
I am new to the cigar hobby and picked up an onyx reserve maduro to try out, put it in my humidor, was in there probably 4 days-no celophane. when I lit it up it had an undesirable cardboard/leather/salt like flavor on the wrapper, had been stored in a leather 2 finger case beside a montecristo which shared this flavor. . .
any thoughts on what caused it. . . it is a new humidor, does that matter?
thanks for helpin a newbie

Its possible the Leather 2-finger case...these are for transport not long-term storage. Newly treated leather will impart an odor or flavor of leather into anything that is in contact for extended period of time from the tanin's used in the leather curing process along with the salt.

I would allow the finger case to remain open and airdry for quite some time before using it again.

I would also use the humidor for storage only without the 2-finger case.

-P-

"elpresidente"

Sounde like a Moki alias :D

Welcome to CP :thumbs:

Sounds to me the way an Onyx tastes anyway. Start smoking Cuban cigars and you'll be much happier with life :p :D

If the leather case is new than I wouldn't be surprised if it did come from the leather. Cigars can absord aromas and flavors through contact and if your cigars tasted like leather then it had to be from the case. I'm sure it would've been better if the cello were on the cigars as it would've minimized the leather taste.

Aloha,

Wade

thanks fellas, I think it more than likely was the leather, I'd love to get my hands on some cubans. . . any thoughts on how to do that in a rural american county in the midst of the embargo?