• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Union

4thecrue

I figure someone here might be in a Union or know about them. Even a lawyer could help I'm guessing. Basically I went to work today and found out that all of the techs got unionized. This is the first we had heard of it. We were not told of any vote nor did we vote at all. After speaking with a large amount of others it seems no one was informed. What we hear happened was the majority of the groups agreed to the union. We find this to be untrue. Even if it was, the larger groups with the majority of the techs did not vote. So, the majority of the techs don't exactly agree. We are trying to get a head count of the techs who disapprove and get them to sign something. We have also heard from higher up that its a done deal. Is this all legal and can it be ratified ? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Damon

Thanks dd,

It turns out a guy I work with knows a lawyer who happens to specialize in the matter. Its sounds as if we have been screwed and something can be done.

Damon

Maybe a union will be a good thing?

Will they be able to get you some more $, better vacation, benefits, work rules, sick time, etc.?

I know where I work that the union has done quite a bit of good as to benefits and such.

May want to contact the union and find out from them how it happened and what they plan to do for you.

As my whole family has been in the Union, I was working a job that decided to get the Union involved so they could get benefits and such. Well, I knew I wasn't staying with them long as I was going back to the University at the end of the Summer, but I placed my vote for them. We didn't have any medical whatsoever or any thing else for that matter.

Well, it was approved and the owners was very unhappy. So after many years of constant struggle, the employees ended up with getting the shaft when it was all said and done. Who would have known that was going to happen. Mind you...I'd clear $2500 in 2 weeks without even trying. So in reality, these people could have done better without the Union. As the saying goes...shit happens. :(

I remember back when I was a union electrician and the local was trying to organize the non-union shops. We, the lower end apprentices, got the shaft. The officers wanted so bad to organize shops, that they promised our journeyman positions to non-union guys to get them to vote for a union. It really never worked, as I think they organized one shop out of about twenty. Eventually that guy gave up his business and the three guys he had went on the books and took even more jobs from guys who already had time in.

I don't really have a problem with unions, I think they are good for some trades. But, there's gotta be a contract somewhere that has to be ratified by the majority. So, even if they did organize you business, there still has to be a contract voted on, I would think.

I would go to your bosses or owners and see where they stand. It should be them paying for an attorney, not the workers, if they are also opposed to being organized.

Thanks for the advice guys. Today we started signing a petition against the union. Most of us have never heard about this nor did we vote or go to any meeting. From what we hear there may have been a secret meeting where a few voted. At this time we are trying to organize and say that we don't agree. If we get enough people we may be able to force them to hold a ballot vote that way everyone gets a fair vote. We really just want to be informed about what is going on so we can make our own decision about it.

Damon

I've spent some years in a union and in my experience the union did nothing but hold the achievers equal to the lowest on the totem pole.
This (to me) created a system of slack, non achievement and absolutely no avenue for me to motivate myself to achieve.
Since I thrive on that, I had to get out of said union.

When I read your post the first thought I had was 'get out'` but I don't know much about your work ethic, job, or benefits.
In places I can see the union being great, but as a whole I've only had bad experiences.

~R

I've spent some years in a union and in my experience the union did nothing but hold the achievers equal to the lowest on the totem pole.
This (to me) created a system of slack, non achievement and absolutely no avenue for me to motivate myself to achieve.
Since I thrive on that, I had to get out of said union.

When I read your post the first thought I had was 'get out'` but I don't know much about your work ethic, job, or benefits.
In places I can see the union being great, but as a whole I've only had bad experiences.

~R

Very, very well said!!!!

May I also add that 90% of Union resources go to protect 10% of the members.

That having been said, I freely admit that (even as an employee in a non-union position in a unionized plant), without the union I would not have the vacation, benefits, work conditions, etc, yadda yadda and I remove my hat to union pioneers and those who had the balls to fight for what they believed in.

Are there companies right now where the employees should be unionized?? Damn right there are, but for the most part, unions have run their course.

BTW, I have been a member of the USWA, the UFCW, the Millwrights (part of Carpenters & Joiners) and 3 different locals of the CAW.

As for the original question, I'd love to know what union because this is the sort of tactics they now resort to and I'd say yes, something can be done unless they've done a great job of fiddling some records and covering it up.

Good luck pal.

I agree that Labor Unions have done much to shoot themselves in the foot, but if you spend sometime reading about the Labor movement in this country, you might come to be a little more sympathetic to the cause.

Doc.

I agree that Labor Unions have done much to shoot themselves in the foot, but if you spend sometime reading about the Labor movement in this country, you might come to be a little more sympathetic to the cause.

Doc.

Like I said above, I have the utmost respect for the Leaders and Members of days gone by, those who set the groundwork for what we have today. Unfortunately, it's hard to put aside some of the shit that goes on with and by Unions today. Without knowing the whole story, the first post of this thread is probably a good indicator.

Back