• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Unorthodox Humidification

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
Reaction score
I let my 120 qt cooler get a little on the dry side. My Climaxx beads won't seem to bring it back up to normal though. I had an idea. It is weird, but most things I do are weird so here goes!

I have a nebulizer. Its the little apparatus that people with breathing problems use to administer medicines via inhalation. The put out very little moisture. Only about 100 uL per minute. The mist is so fine, it evaporates within about 3 inches of the exit thingy! I thought about using a spray bottle to add a little moisture to my boxes in the cooler but this should work much mo' better. :D I could add distilled water in lieu of the medicine and sit it inside the cooler and let it run for a minute or two while watching my hygrometer. Voila! The beads should get the extra boost they need to hold the humidity at the correct percentage.

Any thoughts? ???

Any thoughts? 

My thought is you've been drinking again :sign:

I dunno, I was just "playing" with my cigar inventory, opening and closing the cooler and thre refrigerador throughout the evening and with the DRY winter air, the hygro's dropped right down in the 50's.

But, as long as the beads are working okay (which in my case, they've NEVER failed me) the humidity will be okay by the next day. If it's not okay in a day, add another 17ml of water to each 1/2 lb of beads.

I think the reason you think the beads won't bring it back to normal is either:
1. You're not giving them enough time to work (I know, I know, after a few beers, ya want 'em to work in ten minutes and you're gettin' too impatient :D )
2. The beads need to be recharged with a little water.

I've noticed that I've been having to recharge my beads more often with the dry, winter air.

First question: What is the temperature of where your humidor is at?

It should be around 70. Conditions have to be right to get water to evaporate and stay in the air (atmosphere) as relative humidity(RH). If conditions are right and you just need a way to hasten the introduction of water to the air, then a nebulizer will do that faster than a glass of water. They use misting in greenhouses. But, if your conditions aren't right, you will drop your RH again in time as you open your humidor or you introduce moisture-hungry ceegarz that scrub the humidity out of the air.

There is a formula out ther that takes the area of a space that needs to be humidified at what temperature and advises as to how much moist surface space you should have to acuire this. I'll be darned if I can find the site again.

Example of varying conditions: If your coolidor's temp is at 70F and has a reading of 60% relative humidity and you decrease the temp to 60F, it will cause an increase in RH up to 82%. So, if the temp is over 70F, dropping it will increase RH. Except when refering to coventrycat86's statement "I've noticed that I've been having to recharge my beads more often with the dry, winter air." If you HAD moisture in the air and dropped the temp, RH would go up. If you kept cooling, the RH would go to 100%, it would rain (the air can hold over 100% and still not rain, but that's another story) and then you would have reduced RH with not enough heat to increase the humidity levels, causing dry winters that suck up your moisture in your himidors when you open them frequently.

During the winter you should try to keep your house between 35%-60%. At 60%, your humidor (if used frequently) will have a less difficult time keeping it's 65%RH.

Oh yeh, the answer is "yes, a nebulizer may work" ;)