• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Up in Smoak

oak

Let it burn...
NOTE: This post was edited, the date of this event has changed to Saturday 2/28... at 1pm

Hi there:

I'm thinking of starting up Oak's Monthly DC-Area Herf - also known as "Up in Smoak"... I was thinking of the following:

We will just pick a place and a date each month at a DC-area place to smoke, eat, and hang-out. The first one will be this month, February 28th (Saturday) at 1pm at Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle, DC. Buffalo is 30 feet away from the south Dupont Circle metro station, and 20 feet away from a parking garage. Even if no one else shows up, I'll be there ready to smoke and smack some balls around... :D

Within one calendar week of the herf, I'll post the date and location of the next one - based on suggestions mainly from the attendees of the previous one. I'll handle organization and/or activity planning, and I'll commit to always showing up (so you'll always know my pretty face will be there to buy you a beer...)

I would assume that this mini-herf will move around the area considerably - and plan on holding them all around overall DC area (in the suburbs, closer to baltimore than DC, south of the city in Old Town - Alexandria, west of the city in that farmland Big100HD calls home - etc). However, the people that show up regularly will have the most influence on where we end up next time - so anyone who makes the trek into DC for the first one - I promise that we'll hold a herf in your back-yard at some point - so long as your back-yard is within 100 miles... ;)

I'm posting this here first, but plan on posting it to a few other boards (CW in particular, as they have a strong DC presence) after I get a feel for initial interest.

Please just respond to this post or PM me with:

- Yes - :thumbs:
- No - :(
- Maybe - (Insert reason why - are Sunday's bad in general? Let me know)
- I like the idea and will make it often, but just can't this month

I was hoping to meet some of you up in Baltimore this weekend, but need to do some romancing on valentine's weekend...

Two last things:

1) I will personally buy all food and drinks for anyone or everyone who makes it to Buffalo Billiards from more than 60 miles away.

2) First person to beat me in a game of either eightball or nine-ball will win the door prize, their choice of either a pack of high-end domestics (including a trio of graycliffs - one torp from each line along with two OPI) or a pack of lightly (3-4 year) aged ISOMs (winner's choice as to which of the two prizes). Only caveat to this game is that I reserve the right to only play with each person once, as I want to smoke more than I play... ;)

Cheers,

- Oak

I would be interested in attending a few of these a year possible but only if they were held on a Saturday. Not making that commute back to NYC in Sunday evening traffic ???

Saturdays would be better for me. At 90 miles away I might be too expensive a date for ya to keep that free offer up for long :)

AVB said:
Saturdays would be better for me. At 90 miles away I might be too expensive a date for ya to keep that free offer up for long :)
Dude... I wrote in that clause just for you...

I know what I'm getting into... but figured it takes something special to bring you 90 miles to DC... :D God knows that's probably not something I'd do every month... your tastes would eventually bankrupt me...

Also - that last couple posts illustrate a point. I'm going to edit my post and switch to Saturday - Sunday really doesn't make sense for anyone that is traveling - and I want to pull in people from a decently wide radius.

- Edward

Nice play Oak,

Looks like this will work out nicely.....once things warm up....break out the clubs,,,,,we've got some nice courses in the area.

darn, not 60 miles away but, u better practice your stick. :D

I will continue to be unable to make it if you continue to schedule Up in Smoak the same days as the Palmer's Herf's :(

Up in Smoak ver.1 was a success...

Interestingly, no one from either of the two boards I advertised it on showed up - but 7 different people showed that had heard about the herf through word of mouth and email. All 7 were hard-core collectors, and as far as I know - don't belong to any of the boards I frequent. Also, no one their knew more than one other person (it was like a chain: I knew one guy - he knew another - and he asked his friend, etc) - so everyone got to meet a few new people

The herf left Buffalo Billiards after about an hour (it was pretty dead) and we ended up having lunch and drinks (for the next 5 hours) at a very fancy restaurant (the Palm) around the corner... Not my speed normally, but these guys were smoking things that made the restaurant look cheap by comparison... so it was comfortable even though I was dressed to hustle pool... ;) A few of us did make it back to Buffalo later that evening - where I dominated mercilessly... :sign:

I gave out a couple cigars to each person - but ended up being gifted with a pile of sticks - and as a result - one tray of my humi is now worth more than the rest of my humi(s) combined. All I've gotta say is: My bar for the definition of what a Cigar Geek (tm) is has grown for me... I had no idea! :thumbs: In addition, I am now convinced that cigar smokers are the most generous species on earth.

Hope to see some of y'all next time. I'll try to get out in the boon-docks a bit so I can meet some of you folks that are outside my normal radius... If anyone has a location they'd like to try well north of DC - drop me a message and I'll include it in my research/planning for future herfs.

Cheers,

- Oak