• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upcomming Purchase

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
I am still new to pipes, and at the risk of a flogging, I like aromatics. I am trying to find an English that I like. Having said all of that I am thinking about picking up these four from $nogging

1. Covered Bridges - 4Noggings Bulk
2. Down By The River - 4Noggings Bulk
3. Evening Stroll - Ben Hartwell
4. Westmorland - Sam Gawith

I think that most/all of these are aromatics but they seems to catch my eye.

I have some nightcap that I really like and Devils Holiday that is a bit to harsh, what should I try that might fall in between?

Also, I was looking at the Falcon Pipes, what do you guys think of them?

Thanks
Tim

You might want to try Mclelland's aromatics. I've never tried them, but I understand unlike many aros they are made with excellent tobacco. They also make what is known as crossover blends, like Virginia woods and Grey Havens.

Doc.

If you like aromatics, that's what you should smoke. We're all different. :)

I've never had any of those tobaccos you've listed, so I really can't comment. And Doc is right, McClelland uses very good tobacco in all of their blends.

Falcon pipes are highly regarded. I don't have one and I haven't smoked one (they're just not my style), but MANY pipe smokers adore their Falcons.

Well Tim, I'd have to say, like Alan, I've never smoked nor seen any of the tobaccos or pipes you mentioned.

If you want my opinion, for a starter pipe, call Boswell Pipes, speak to J.M. or Danny, tell them what you like and they will provide you with a fantastic free-hand starter pipe for about $50, and throw in a few tobacco samplers to get you started. If you'd like, tell me what you are looking for, price-range and style, and next Friday I'll be at their shop and I can peruse their in-house selection and see if we can't find something you'll be happy with... hate to see a fellow Army man get off on the wrong foot. Just let me know. Glad to help if I can. Either way, enjoy.

For the Falcon try eBay. I've been eyeing one for myself. There are a few other brands out there. Tristen, Yello-bole makes one.

Well Tim, I'd have to say, like Alan, I've never smoked nor seen any of the tobaccos or pipes you mentioned.

If you want my opinion, for a starter pipe, call Boswell Pipes, speak to J.M. or Danny, tell them what you like and they will provide you with a fantastic free-hand starter pipe for about $50, and throw in a few tobacco samplers to get you started. If you'd like, tell me what you are looking for, price-range and style, and next Friday I'll be at their shop and I can peruse their in-house selection and see if we can't find something you'll be happy with... hate to see a fellow Army man get off on the wrong foot. Just let me know. Glad to help if I can. Either way, enjoy.

Hey Tim,
If you are in the store and think about it, that would be super. I have 3 pipes right now, 2 Dr.G's and a some no-name pipe I picked up at a B&M in the Austin area. I prefer an Apple or Acorn bowel and a longish bent stem, nothing to crazy, just a nice bent pipe really.

Doc: I will take your advice and try one of those crossover blends.

Alan: As alwyas, I find myself hanging on your every word when it comes to matters of tobacco.

And everyone else: Thanks for the time you took to help out.

The other
Tim

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the following...

1. Covered Bridges - 4Noggings Bulk
2. Grey Heavens - McClelland
3. Evening Stroll - Ben Hartwell

now, just to wait...

Tim

I also like aromatics because my wife likes the smell and i can smoke them in the house. :thumbs:

I have and like Falcon. I love the look of the metal pipes kinda industrial looking. I have bids on several now and have some on the way. Hope we are not biding against each other Shibumi :rolleyes: . My ID is the same there so let me know what you are looking at.
Just a few things I have won.

I also like aromatics because my wife likes the smell and i can smoke them in the house. :thumbs:

I have and like Falcon. I love the look of the metal pipes kinda industrial looking. I have bids on several now and have some on the way. Hope we are not biding against each other Shibumi :rolleyes: . My ID is the same there so let me know what you are looking at.
Just a few things I have won.

Not to worry, I'm just looking at them :( right now. It's not in my budget this month.

Got this in today and it smells great.

Well at least the Covered Bridges does, the rest is still sealed in the tins.

I will smoke one up tonight and report back

Tim

Well, I went with the VA Woods,

It was doomed from the start, and part of that is my fault. Itry to rotate through the 3 pipes that I have. Well the one on deck is my least favorite, and will be out of the line-up after I break in the Boswell that Tim ordered for me. Anyway, I thought about skipping this pipe and on to one of my bents,but didn't.

The VA Woods smells great, I really like it, and was looking forward to this, the pack was difficult, but sometimes get that due to my newness. Then it did not want to light part because of the pack I think, an second there was a storm front coming in.

Made it about 1/4 of the way into the bowl and the storm hit. Artic blast of wind, and big ol drops of Belgium rain...so out it went, and I was forced into the house to sulk.....

I will try again, but not until after the 25th of the month. I have to slow down as I have a timed run on that day.

Tim

Smoking outdoors, is a variable, that a beginning pipe smoker should not have to endure. Try drying out the VA. Woods a bit. Leave the tin open for a few hours on a dry day. Don't give up on a pipe too quickly. My least favorite pipe, 3 months ago, has become my favorite, since I found the tobacco it demanded.

Doc.

...And Roger that.

Sad thing is, I am not allowed to smoke in the house. Daughter has a mild case of Asthma, and sometimes smoke will set it off.

Thanks for the advice about keeping the pipe in rotation. I do need to go through and make some notes about what I smoke and in what pipe so I can find the best fits.

As always, humbled

Tim