• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upgrade for humidor

AKmik

Hello all,

I just picked up an imperfect 300ct dome Humidor
from cheaphumidors.com. The imperfect selection is a killer deal. Mine showed up with a small blemish in the top coat of lacquer, maybe 1/4" in length, on the bottom of the right side. You really have to be looking for it to find it.

Anyway first impressions ...it is built solid, but needs a few touches. I was kind of turned off to see veneered mdf bottoms on the trays as well as the aerator on the floor of the humi. I have removed the aerator, and have improved the humidification units by removing the foam and using 65% HF beads. I found some fine mesh fabric to keep the beads from passing through the slots in the vented bottoms, (seems like fine polyester mesh) hot glued several pieces in each of the two humidification units. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the back side of each unit so beads could be topped off then a piece of tape covers the hole once full.

The sections snap together
IMG_0499-vi.jpg

I saw the aluminum replacements for sale but they are pretty steep considering I had all the parts laying around to convert these.
IMG_0501-vi.jpg

I have not decided if I will make another airator or not but I will definitely be removing the exposed mdf tray bottoms and replace them with Spanish cedar. I am still kind of surprised the bottoms are mdf, I don't want that in with my smokes, just sweet smelling Spanish cedar. I may just build a new tray.

So far so good, it is seasoning and is set up with the two humidification units which hold a few ounces of beads each as well as a 4 oz tube of 65% beads in the bottom compartment. I have an adjustable digital hygrometer in the bottom for right now but I left the analog stock hygro in the lid, it looks good and I have adjusted it. I will never rely on that one but with beads there really are no worries.

I needed a decent sized box to catch overflow from my other desk top humidor and my vinotemp. I have been bombed right into needing another box, so this will do until I can snag an Emperor off of CB.