• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

USA soccer team !

mementomori

Congratulation to US soccer team for great games at Confederation Cup in South America.

Haha you mean in South Africa? They had a good run. Hopefully they'll do better in the World Cup.

Reaching the final was a major achievement for the US football team!
Congratulations!

Do you fellas know why so many American kids play soccer now-a-days?

It's so they don't have to watch it. :laugh:

Doc.

The reason American soccer doesn't do better is probably because of their upbringing. American kids are taught fair play and good sportmanship, something you can't have and do well in international soccer. I think that's also why Americans won't watch it. Who wants to see a bunch of whiners and cheaters? Everybody hates a flopper or diver.

The reason American soccer doesn't do better is probably because of their upbringing. American kids are taught fair play and good sportmanship, something you can't have and do well in international soccer. I think that's also why Americans won't watch it. Who wants to see a bunch of whiners and cheaters? Everybody hates a flopper or diver.
Perhaps you missed the steroid scandal or Alex Rodriguez trying to knock the ball out of another players hands? Maybe you missed the stories about Ty Cobb or Gaylord Perry. The list goes on. I don't think World soccer has a lock on cheating and whining. "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying", is an American expression. The preponderance of Americans don't like soccer because it boring.

Doc.

Perhaps you missed the steroid scandal or Alex Rodriguez trying to knock the ball out of another players hands? Maybe you missed the stories about Ty Cobb or Gaylord Perry. The list goes on. I don't think World soccer has a lock on cheating and whining. "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying", is an American expression. The preponderance of Americans don't like soccer because it boring.

Doc.

Try watching American football, thats boring! (rugby with funny dresses)
I like some of the cheerleaders though :laugh:
Can't wait for the worldcup to start next year in South Africa.
The Dutch team is going for gold, and the whole country will stand behind them (all 16 million souls).
People will dress up in orange the bars will be filled to the brim, I say bring it on!

Check this out this happened in 1988 after we became European champion millions turned out for "Orange"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVvG-jfrTG4

Football (soccer as you call it) is more than just a sport in this part of the world! Its almost religion!

Rene

I watched the game and was impressed with the U.S. team for the 1st 30 minutes, then they laid back and allowed Brazil to win the ball and attack. The U.S. has to be agressive.

I feel the U.S. hasn't excelled in soccer is because there are so many gifted athletes in other sports such as baseball, football, and basketball (also so is the money).

I also think to appreciate soccer, you have to have played it. It takes a great deal of skill/practice to control the ball at your feet after it has been kicked 40-70 years in the air. Also, run your but up and down the field for 90 minutes without a sub.

And Doc, the games do get boring sometimes, but I generally choose to take a nap while watching baseball or golf :sign: .

JMHO

Ken

The American problem with the sport is that there is no American money for the players. Football contracts are in the millions per year, baseball, basketbal, millions per year. The MLS salary cap is 2.5 million for a senior roster, league minimum, 30K/year. average pay is between 80K-120K per year.

That said, look at my avatar and you know my opinion on the rest of the game.

Doc.

Try watching American football, thats boring! (rugby with funny dresses)
I like some of the cheerleaders though :laugh:
Can't wait for the worldcup to start next year in South Africa.
The Dutch team is going for gold, and the whole country will stand behind them (all 16 million souls).
People will dress up in orange the bars will be filled to the brim, I say bring it on!

Check this out this happened in 1988 after we became European champion millions turned out for "Orange"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVvG-jfrTG4

Football (soccer as you call it) is more than just a sport in this part of the world! Its almost religion!

Rene

I never understood just how Rabid other countries were for Soccer until my last trip to Vietnam. During that trip the Asia cup was happening and Vietnam was playing Thailand. Vietnam had not beaten Thailand in like 15 years. I was in Hanoi and It was unreal Literly every shop we went by had the owners and some other people gathered in front of the TV watching the game. You did not even need to be watching the game to know how it was going, you literly felt the whole city groan, cheer, scream as the ebb and the flow of the game continued. Well Vietnam won and the whole place erupted people poured out of their houses and onto their "motorcycles" pounding pots and pans and waving their flags. It was unlike anything i have seen here, The feeling was like nothing i have ever felt here in the US not even the Super Bowl. Ohh and Vietnam also won the cup if i recall right. at least it better be because I was in Saigon when they won and the celibrations lasted well into the night! If not I have no clue what i was celebrating then!

These guys represent our country to the rest of the world and they have my respect. From traveling abroad, I've definitely gotten the feeling that many folks feel a certain disconnect with the good ol' US of A. Our guys getting out there and defeating Spain as well as taking Brazil to the brink garners a certain amount of respect in the international community.

Just my thoughts...

-Mark

I was soooo shocked and proud of the way they were playing in the first half....I started to think of the 1980 US hockey team. But then it was so hard to watch the 2nd half! Brazil is just too good at that damn sport.

I will admit that I do not follow soccer and I don't understand the rules and therefore the attraction. But what I do understand is that lunatic fans engage in riotous, ludicrous, and brutal, acts quite regularly and no-one does anything to curb that radical behavior.

Can someone tell me why?

I will admit that I do not follow soccer and I don't understand the rules and therefore the attraction. But what I do understand is that lunatic fans engage in riotous, ludicrous, and brutal, acts quite regularly and no-one does anything to curb that radical behavior.

Can someone tell me why?

You may want to look at the recent history of American sports fans rioting and torching their cities after winning championships before pointing fingers! ;)

You actually are wrong about authorities curbing hooligan behavior. England has a special unit of the police focused on Football related crimes. If you are arrested for inciting violence you are banned from every stadium natiomwide, your passport is recorded and info handed to the authorities of any country holding a major tournament.

But what do I know I'm just a diehard NY Giants fan that happens to follow a little soccer club based in Manchester England.

Darn it!! I just missed this one. Hopefully next time they win I'll be in in time.