• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Van Winkle Lot B 12 year

Spey

Anyone tried this ? I'd like to see your thoughts.

My brother and I have went thru 3 bottles of this in the last year and I have one unopened bottle left.

I don't want to open it right now for an in-depth review due to lots of wine to drink :laugh: , but what I remember is it has a nice vanilla and caramel bouquet, and has a lightly sweet, pleasant bourbon taste with no harshness on the palate. Not lemony-charcoal harsh like knob creek (my description), or as potent and complex as bookers, but it has been a real eye opener to anyone who we've let try it for the first time. It has been my favorite for a couple years, ever since my brother discovered it.

I like it over rocks, and swirl it to melt the ice a little. It's also a killer cooking bourbon for deserts. It goes for about $45 a bottle online, you might find it on sale occasionally for much less at liquor stores if you are lucky (like my brother was!-$25/bottle).

I haven't been drinking much of it lately because I got on a scotch kick for a bit. I intend to buy a couple more bottles though.

I've read some reviews of it online, but they rate others ahead of it that my palate just can't see after tasting them. Like Woodford reserve, Knob creek, eagle rare 10 + 17yr, and a few others. The "Lot B" just seems like it was meant for sipping straight or over rocks more than any other. It makes me want to try the pappy van winkle.

I'm not a bourbon guy, but i'm very interested in vintage (malted) rye..

The Sazerac 18, and I *think* there's a Van Winkle Rye? 13 yr old.. ?

I really want to try. From the reviews I've read, the straight rye's are more flavourful and spicy.. closer to aged rum or a spicy brandy than most grain distillations..

Van Winkle seems to be one of those brands that produces uniformly 'give me more' reviews.. a very good sign. :)

I have it but if you have gone through 3 bottles I don't know what I could say that you don't already know.

Anyone tried this ? I'd like to see your thoughts.

My brother and I have went thru 3 bottles of this in the last year and I have one unopened bottle left.

There is a Van Winkle 13 yo Rye and and impossible to find 12 yo too. The 12 was sold out in 2000 which is why you can't find it. There is also a Classic Cask 22 yo rye (see my review) and I think a 20 also. Black Maple Hill has a 14, 16 and 18 yo Rye. Of course, there is also an A.H. Hirsch 13 yo rye you can look for too. One of the best ryes for the money is Rittenhouse 100 proof, look for it.

I'm not a bourbon guy, but i'm very interested in vintage (malted) rye..

The Sazerac 18, and I *think* there's a Van Winkle Rye? 13 yr old.. ?