• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vendor database

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I enjoy surging the Hot Deals forum. I have seen recently a good post on how to verify a deal, and it caused me to think of this suggestion.

I used to avidly trade watches, and one of the sights I used had a forum called "Good Guys" where persons who had a good or bad experience could post a record of it. It became a pretty handy tool to check out a deal in a hurry.

Now, it does have its down sides, innocent folks get grinded by the perpetually dissatisfied, false posts etc... But, with post from reputable forum member validating a good deal from a reputable vendor, it could be a good resource.

In addition, new vendors might be incented to introduce themselves, offer some good deals to some avid Cigarpass posters to gain some credibility for their deals.

Just an idea...

Cparker

I saw the trader rating post, but my thought is focused on the dealer who post on the Hot Deal page. I may have missed the other post you refer.

My intent is collecting feedback onto a page to avoid having to ask a question that may already be answered cause I know how excited CP veterans are at answering the same question over and over.

CP

I think I understands, but what you are intending still sounds like a "rate the vendors" thread. It just has comments instead of ratings. I didn't go one way or the other with the ratings thread...I can see the pros and cons. I personally believe there are more cons than pros.

As for answering the same questions time and again, I think CP veterans tire of it because 1) people don't bother to use the search function and 2) people don't want to do their own research, trial and error, and learn on their own. I know I don't like to just give away information that I have worked hard to amass. I would prefer others work for it like I had to.

I think Cigar Weekly has a vendors database...I know they used to have a "rate the vendor" one. Part of it got disabled...don't know if the whole thing did. There are also a few cigar-sites of cigar-sites on the web. They include vendors. I wouldn't argue hard one way or the other is CP were to consider a vendor database. However, in my opinion, the information is already out there if you look hard enough.

The problem is that most of those vendors deal in Cuban cigars. As you may have noticed, discussion of sources/vendors that sell Cuban cigars is highly frowned upon here and for good reason. Actually rating them would be even worse. Another forum used to have a Rate the Retailer section and it was a miserable failure IMO. Develop some relationships here on the board and you will know who the good vendors are. Chances are that if a vendor is advertising here they are pretty good or would not be allowed to advertise here.

Also, in case it is not obvious, if you have a question about a vendor, ask it through PM or email, not in a post. However, some people will not discuss sources even then.

EDIT: Nice post Scot. :thumbs:

mrjinglesusa said:
Chances are that if a vendor is advertising here they are pretty good or would not be allowed to advertise here.
[snapback]205533[/snapback]​

I've wondered about the above statement before. Advertisment is a way to help fund this board. I don't think its actually an endorsment. Personally, I would still ask around about any vendor you haven't done business with before... regardless of where they advertise.

PS - I agree with Jingles...good post Cigardawg!

All good points, especially when I consider that swiss watches and cigars have differing concerns.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cparker

Allofus123 said:
mrjinglesusa said:
Chances are that if a vendor is advertising here they are pretty good or would not be allowed to advertise here.
[snapback]205533[/snapback]​

I've wondered about the above statement before. Advertisment is a way to help fund this board. I don't think its actually an endorsment. Personally, I would still ask around about any vendor you haven't done business with before... regardless of where they advertise.

PS - I agree with Jingles...good post Cigardawg!
[snapback]205704[/snapback]​

I agree but I also think that if an advertiser was known to sell fakes, Rod would not take their money and allow them to advertise here. That was more of my point.

I understood your point..... I'm not willing to make those assumptions. :cool:

We do all we can to filter out the bad vendors. We have turned down a few company's recently who wanted to advertise at CP; they didn't seem to have it all together. If we allowed anyone to become a sponsor, then not only would we be doing a dis-service to our community, but also to CP in general. So far we have not had any problems with our sponsors.

As far as anyone (other than CP sponsors) posting in the RETAILER FORUM, we cannot endorse them. We only stand behind our actual sponsors. Hope this helps...