• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ventilation Grate?

beastinem

I saw in another thread that somebody posted pics of a humidor with a ventilation grate at the bottom. Does anybody know where you can buy these separate for existing humidors? Or maybe some make shift homemade method somebody uses that gives the humidor better ventilation?

Thanks,
Zach

...might not be "pretty" but I'd bet if you bought some very small dowels and spent some quality time with a hot glue gun, you could end up with a very functional equivalent.....
cool.gif

...might not be "pretty" but I'd bet if you bought some very small dowels and spent some quality time with a hot glue gun, you could end up with a very functional equivalent.....
cool.gif

Lol, the idea of me with a glue gun close to my new humidor is scary o_O

cool.gif

....build the grate on a table, drop it in the humi when done....
whistling.gif

cool.gif

whistling.gif

Can you get Spanish Cedar from a store? Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's?

cool.gif

whistling.gif

Can you get Spanish Cedar from a store? Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's?

I have never found spanish cedar at HD or Lowe's. You would have to buy it online somewhere if you can't find a local wood shop.

Luaun is virtually identical to Spanish cedar, but I don't think I've seen it in dowel stock for ages. Might check a real lumberyard, if there's any left in your area.

~Boar

Luaun is virtually identical to Spanish cedar, but I don't think I've seen it in dowel stock for ages. Might check a real lumberyard, if there's any left in your area.

~Boar

just start saving the cedar "blocks" that come in the bottom row of boxes of twenty five. Space them out, and you effectively have done the same thing. Perhaps your local B&M's will give you some?

Or just cut up a cedar box to build it. Again, a B&M would probably give you some.

Or just cut up a cedar box to build it. Again, a B&M would probably give you some.

That would work too, and take up less room. Just be sure to wear a dust mask. Spanish cedar dust is dangerous stuff to breathe.

~Boar

X2. Luann is sold in the hardware stores in sheets, usually for interior door skins. It's a type of mahogony which doesn't smell which is perfect for a humi as you have enough cedar in it already. You can cut them to the interior size of your humi and just drill holes to facilitate air movement under. I have an african zebrano wood humi and inside is a sheet of cedar with holes, did the job from day 1 so copying it is quite easy.

Or do like Dan said and save the cedar blocks from cigar boxes and just rip it into smaller block with a table saw. Figure you could rip a cigar box apart too if you find the ones without the paper glued to the outside.

Personally $20 is quite a deal for what is. Spanish Cedar Ventilation Grate

Damn, that looks good. I don't see anything in the description about what size humidor it is made for. I wonder if it is too big if I could just cut it to shape.

Anyway, the local B&M hooked me up with some cedar lining out of the Opus X boxes. I will maybe see what I can do with them.

Thanks guys.

Damn, that looks good. I don't see anything in the description about what size humidor it is made for. I wonder if it is too big if I could just cut it to shape.

Anyway, the local B&M hooked me up with some cedar lining out of the Opus X boxes. I will maybe see what I can do with them.

Thanks guys.

The "choose from these options" pulldown, lower right of page, shows 2 sizes. I like that a lot, but 20 bucks plus shipping is 4 or 5 decent sticks. All up to how you want to spend your money.

Thanks guys.

The "choose from these options" pulldown, lower right of page, shows 2 sizes. I like that a lot, but 20 bucks plus shipping is 4 or 5 decent sticks. All up to how you want to spend your money.

Didn't even see that option Monk :\ Thanks. Guess I need to go measure my humidor bottom. I will see what I can fashion with these cedar slabs and then go from there.

Thanks again all.