• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Verizon FiOS?

bmd34202

Verizon has been laying fiber in our area for many months now and just yesterday I received a UPS 2nd day air letter (Yes, a 2nd day air letter) advertisement pushing their fiber internet service.

Anybody have any experiences with getting this hooked up to their house? I have a cable modem now and don't have that many complaints (other than the occassional outage), but the Verizon seems to be faster and they infer that your voice service is also ported over to the fiber and there is some benefit in that.

The one negative I see is that they insist that only their router will work with the fiber service so the standard router we have now would be useless I suppose.

While I don't have there broad band service, I thought it was a type of WiFi deal? ??? Probably wrong though lol

I've had verizon, since it was verizon. We have three lines, and I gotta be honest with you, they have the best damn service I've ever heard of. I had cingular for a year in Birmingham, and I'll never go back. Verizon is always number 1 in any survey. :thumbs:

My uncle has verizon fios and it's pretty fast. I pay more than him for crappy comcast. For a heavy downloader like me it would be worth it. Problem is your phone line is converted to a non copper wire or something like that. It runs on a battery i think placed outside your house. If the power goes out it lasts for like 4 hours so if you lose power for more than that, no calls for a while. But I would get it. I need fast, unlimited downloads.

bmd34202 said:
Verizon has been laying fiber in our area for many months now and just yesterday I received a UPS 2nd day air letter (Yes, a 2nd day air letter) advertisement pushing their fiber internet service.

Anybody have any experiences with getting this hooked up to their house? I have a cable modem now and don't have that many complaints (other than the occassional outage), but the Verizon seems to be faster and they infer that your voice service is also ported over to the fiber and there is some benefit in that.

The one negative I see is that they insist that only their router will work with the fiber service so the standard router we have now would be useless I suppose.
[snapback]231727[/snapback]​
keep in mind a cable network is a lot different than a fiber network as far as hardware goes. Cable uses the coax cable to connect the router to a computer or a network, and a fiber cable uses a different type of connection altogether.
My biggest beef with verizon is cost. they charge for every dumb little thing, i have verizon dsl here at work, and the tech support is top notch, but to up my bandwidth is a huge amount of $$$.

My mom has the good fortune to live in an area where they just dug up her street, and I would say a big, fat, YES!

Go to braodbandreports.com and check out the furor over this. This stuff is just incredible.