• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Verizon Fios

Marcos

I love you Rocky & Sammie and Bee...thank you
I have a scheduled appointment this Saturday to get Fios installed as I have had enough with Comcast here in NJ. I am aware of there deals at the moment and the price seems right. Even after 90 days it will climb to approx. what my Comcast triple play bill was anyway. I was told that this deal come with some free wireless modem. I don't have any wireless but was wondering if this was standard or can they hard wire right to my computer. Does anyone here have FIOS and can they maybe post a review. How did the install go? What kind of equipment will be installed in my house and is this wireless thing necessary or just a promotional perk? If I have to use the wireless will they help me with things like encryption ? Are there any downsides to FIOS service that you have come across? Thanks

I had Fios for a while (before I moved). The installation took a while, but it was well worth it. The speed and dependability were terrific. The installation tech will connect it hardwired to your system, but the wireless is also nice and they also installed a firewall for security. I wish it were available where I am now, I would get the whole package.

Ken

I'm getting mine installed on the 11th. If I understand it correctly you get the first three months of premium channels for free. After that the standard rate of $94 a month applies for the remainder of the period, one year. You get phone, internet and tv for that price. Included is a four port wireless router for the install. Other than that I don't have any other info.

I'm replacing Directv and Cablevision so my savings will be worth it to me.

I've had FIOS for 1.5 years now and absolutely love it. I am outside any bonus period, but $99/month gets you internet, phone and basic tv. After taxes, two hi-def receivers with one of them an hd-dvr, 1 lo-def receiver, hbo, I am paying $159/month. Very reliable other than every once in a while unpluging the tv receiver and plugging it back in. We have 1 wired pc and run two wireless, a home laptop and my work laptop. It took the tech 6 hours to do the install and show me some of the tv features - there are a lot of 'em.

Good luck and enjoy
Bob

Wish it were available in my area - I've been waiting 3 years now for FIOS. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm sure you'll be happy with the service.

I have had FIOS for over a year. The service is great. Their billing department is another story. I can't believe a company this big can screw up billings every month. Boggles my mind.

Oh well - I think you will be very happy with the TV. A lot of HD content. The phone is the phone. The internet works great - Either wired or wireless.

If you don't have a big HDTV yet, go get one.

I've had FIOS for a little over 3 months. I absolutely love it. My DL speeds reach about 18.79 mbps, UL 4.77 mbps. The HD channels are noticeably more vivid and crisp on my LCD than they were with Cablevision. The wireless router it comes with is also its modem. I have my desktop hardwired to it with my PS3, 360 and a couple of laptops running off the wi-fi. You can choose to run it completely wireless if you wanted to.

I live in an apartment, so they had to install a big VCR size control center. I don't know if it's the same for a private house. I would imagine so. It's not that bad. It looks like a security membrane of some sort. The installation took about 4 hours. They were very knowledgeable about the equipment and the FIOS service, not like Cablevision's people who usually shrug their shoulders at most questions. You'll like it.

Thanks for the replies so far. I heard they have to install some hardware/boxes on the side of the house or in the garage or something. Do I have a choice where they install this stuff? Does it matter and will it affect service or future repairs in anyway? My comcast comes into my home and the modem is in the basement right next to my computer connected with a wire. Will there be a similar setup with Verizon or is it all completely different?

I'm in the same boat as Rod, waiting for Fios to be available here. Hope they hurry up, I hate mediacom :(.

That box that they install, from what they have told me, converts the signals received from the actual fiber optic wire into the coaxial wires in your home. I guess they would want to limit the exposure of the very fragile optic wires and place the box in a spot where the optics could reach it in as short a distance as possible.

I've had FIOS for 1.5 years now and absolutely love it. I am outside any bonus period, but $99/month gets you internet, phone and basic tv. After taxes, two hi-def receivers with one of them an hd-dvr, 1 lo-def receiver, hbo, I am paying $159/month. Very reliable other than every once in a while unpluging the tv receiver and plugging it back in. We have 1 wired pc and run two wireless, a home laptop and my work laptop. It took the tech 6 hours to do the install and show me some of the tv features - there are a lot of 'em.

Good luck and enjoy
Bob

That would be about the same as a Cox.net package offered now. Hmmmm.

To bad FIOS is not in my area.

Are there any downsides to FIOS service that you have come across? Thanks

Oh dear God their customer service is TERRIBLE. Better hope everything is done right from the get go. The deal I got (by signing up before 10/31) was DVR free for a year, and HBO/Cinemax free for 1 month. First they told me I never signed up for a DVR. Then they didn't give me the multi-room DVR feature. The install tech also successfully disconnected my landlord from their cable service. VZ told me it wasn't their responsibility to reconnect. (I guess they do this a lot, Cablevision had a tech out a couple hours later to fix it)

Then we got the bill, and were charged for everything. And they told us there were no freebies when we signed up. A month late and I still can't get the right bill.

I just wish they would get to installing it in my area. :angry:

I have FIOS as well....awesome product, consistant speeds on the broadband end, and the TV is very good, with a very good DVR menu system.
Rob

For those without FIOS, have you look to see if AT&T U-Verse is available? Although the internet isn't as fast, it does offer good service. All the people I know are satisfied with the service. I wish I had either one of them in my area!

I have had FIOS for about 6 months for basic phone and internet. TV will be coming in January. Before they do the install, you need to ask yourself if you want to use the Verizon crappy router with wireless or do you want to use a router of your choice. This is critical because the Verizon router is connected to the fiber box using a coax connection that runs MOCA (media over cable). MOCA basically is ethernet implemented on coax using a different set of frequencies that don't collide with what Verizon uses for TV and phone. Now you are probably wondering why would Verizon want to use this type of connection to the router. The reason is that the Verizon Set Top Boxes(STBs) use a MOCA connection to establish their TCP/IP connection back to the Verizon center.

If you want to use your own router, you must tell the Verizon Tech that shows up that you want to have a CAT5 connection to your router, NOT MOCA. You will need to supply a MOCA bridge that would be connected to one of the ethernet ports on the back of your router so that the STBs can establish their connections. I use the Motorola NIM100 as my MOCA bridge and also use a NIM100 to connect the house desktop to my new D-Link DIR-655.

OK, has everyone gone to sleep reading this :laugh: :laugh:

I only throw this out there so that you know what you need to do if you want to use your own router; otherwise, ignore what I just said.

Happy Browsing :thumbs: ...LouieD

Well the tech is supposed to be here from 9-12 today and I was told the install was from 4-6 hours :( . We will see what develops. I am pumped for much quicker internet and DVR. Hopefully this all goes well.