• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very humid humidor

drxcm

Hi, I'm a first time poster and a newcomer to cigars.

I have had a humidor for the last year or so, small in size. I had a few cigars in it until recently.

It has been empty now for the last 2 months and the humidity has shot up to ~85% !!!

I have just received some duty free cigars from overseas, but don't want to put them in yet, whats the fastest way to get the humidity down / back to normal and when should I put the cigars in ?

I might note that im in New Zealand, its summer and the air humidity is usually 85-90% here.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Hmm unfortunately they won't ship to New Zealand.

Should I take the credo out of my humidor ?
Should I leave the cigars from overseas out until the humidor is stable?

First of all, welcome to CP! You're gonna love it here.

As for your humi I would remove the credo until the RH gets to around 60-65%. I don't have any experience with high humidity since I live in the desert so hopefully someone who has will chime in and help you further. Good luck :thumbs:

drxcm said:
Should I take the credo out of my humidor ?
Should I leave the cigars from overseas out until the humidor is stable?
Yes take the credo out and put the cigars in.
Check it in a few days and see what the humidity is.

If I wasn't so broke right now I'd fedex you some beads. They are great. I'm sure someone here would do a trade. If you still need some in a week or two send me a PM.

OH yeah, welcome to CP :thumbs:

If it is 85% in your house, I'd say to get a dehumidifier and turn your living room into a walk-in humidor! :D

Welcome Stuart!!

It's awfully cold here and summertime in New Zealand sounds like a nice vacation right about now :D

If I do jump on a plane, I'll bring ya some beads!!

Anyway, glad to have you aboard. We've got two guys here from Sweeden and another person from Ontario, Canada so we're defiately going international here :p

Okay, back to your original question. Last summer here in the northeastern United States, we had a horrible spell for pretty much the whole month of August where the humidity in my finished basement got to 90%. It was so bad that mold was literally growing on the furniture. I wound up buying a room dehumidifier and as blair said, I set it at whatever setting would keep the room at 70% or so and never even put the cigars in a humidor! Of course now with the dry winter air, it's a different story. You may find it tough for a credo unit or anything else for that matter to keep the RH in your humi UNDER the ambient air but if the RH in your house is really that high (85% +) you really ought to get a room dehumidifier.