• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp funny smell

cigar smoke

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a vinotemp. After removing it from the box I open the door to the unit. There was a faint plastic smell. This is of course due to the plasic lining of the unit. Some smell is to be expected. I figured after putting in some spanish cedar the problem would be solved. Anyway after pluging it in it worked like a charm coming right up to the set point which was 60F.

When I opened the door to feel the cool temp I was hit in the face with a very harsh glue like smell which would be toxic to any cigars I put in there. After shutting the unit off the smell returned to the faint smell of plastic. I'm assuming I have a bad unit but has anyone else seen this before. Maybe the unit needs to run for a few days. Thanks all

Bob

This has been discussed many times....but in short...plastic outgasses until it is thoroughly dry. That is the new plastic smell you are getting, and it is much worse when the unit is running. Use a baking soda/distilled water solution and wipe down the inside several times, then allow the unit to dry out for a good while, outside, in some nice sunlight. That will help alleviate your issue.

~Billy

This has been discussed many times....but in short...plastic outgasses until it is thoroughly dry. That is the new plastic smell you are getting, and it is much worse when the unit is running. Use a baking soda/distilled water solution and wipe down the inside several times, then allow the unit to dry out for a good while, outside, in some nice sunlight. That will help alleviate your issue.

~Billy

Thanks for the info. I failed to mention that I already did wipe it down with baking soda and water solution. I guess I will just let it run for a while and see what happens.

Bob

It'll go away in a week or two. Also remember to wash down the shelf racks in warm water and soap.... if you're still using them.