• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp Project

billbaker3

Alright I picked up my new Vinotemp 28 bottle from Target yesterday. I tested it and made sure that it works.

My plan is to wire in some fans and such and also get some spanish cedar and make some shelves. I doubt that I will line the whole unit.

I will be getting beads from Viper for this unit also.

Now my first question is what is the point of adding a Ranco ETC-111000? The unit can be set at 68deg. Hopefully someone with one of these setups can answer this?

Congrats on the purchase. I just got home with mine. You should really use the search option, this topic has been covered a lot of times and recently.

I have two Urbina 28s. Plugged 'em in, filled it with boxes 'n beads, and turned the temp setting all the way up. They've both stayed in the mid to upper 60's and 67 to 70% RH, even with opening both at least two to three times a day. I did get a couple of fans that sit in the bottom of each blowing up (both hooked into a DC converter).

Congrats on the purchase. I just got home with mine. You should really use the search option, this topic has been covered a lot of times and recently.

Did that. The one I find is compressor based.

I have two Urbina 28s. Plugged 'em in, filled it with boxes 'n beads, and turned the temp setting all the way up. They've both stayed in the mid to upper 60's and 67 to 70% RH, even with opening both at least two to three times a day. I did get a couple of fans that sit in the bottom of each blowing up (both hooked into a DC converter).

I thought mine went up to 68 degrees but it only goes to 66 degrees. So says the read out. I do know that they are not always accurate. I will have to test it and see what it says. Maybe I can get away with not putting in the control.

I will most likely get some oust fans and fill it with beads and boxes for now and see how it goes. I will add the wood once I find it around here in Michigan, later.

I thought mine went up to 68 degrees but it only goes to 66 degrees. So says the read out. I do know that they are not always accurate. I will have to test it and see what it says. Maybe I can get away with not putting in the control.

I will most likely get some oust fans and fill it with beads and boxes for now and see how it goes. I will add the wood once I find it around here in Michigan, later.
I don't think Oust fans are available anymore.

If the temp stays around 65 or so I wouldn't worry much about the controller. I keep my cigars in the basement where it's never above 66 during the summer and gets down to about 63-64 during the winter. My cigars are just fine. They smoke great, look great, and feel great. As long as the temp isn't too high or too low (I wouldn't want mine to get much cooler than they do in the winter), humidity is much more important.

If the temp stays around 65 or so I wouldn't worry much about the controller. I keep my cigars in the basement where it's never above 66 during the summer and gets down to about 63-64 during the winter. My cigars are just fine. They smoke great, look great, and feel great. As long as the temp isn't too high or too low (I wouldn't want mine to get much cooler than they do in the winter), humidity is much more important.

Well damn it all to hell. I take a glance on ebay or something and see if I can scrounge some up. If not I'll be wiring fans. Thanks guys. Once I start doing the wood work I will post some pics. It could be a month or so though.

Well damn it all to hell. I take a glance on ebay or something and see if I can scrounge some up. If not I'll be wiring fans. Thanks guys. Once I start doing the wood work I will post some pics. It could be a month or so though.

If you need oust fans let me know a local mom and pop hardware store had a shelf full the last time I was there.I picked up 2 could check on them for you if interested

I have 1 pound of beads in mine. 1/2 pound in a mesh bag on the bottom over the drain hole(place a piece of black electrical tape over the drain hole) and 1/2 pound in a mesh in my top drawer. I haven't found the need for extra fans. I live just across the border from you, so we have to deal with the same environmental conditions.

Mine has been steady at 66/66 for 3 months.

I wouldn't line the interior with Spanish cedar. It's overkill and takes up space. Some drawers and shelves made from Spanish cedar will be more then enough.

You can try Woodcraft in Canton for Spanish cedar.

The Oust fans can be found in some stores and pretty easily online, but I don't think they're making them anymore. Also, I've found that the temperature readout on the Vinotemp is not very accurate, though the thermostat is pretty consistent, but you should find out where yours sits. I don't think you'll need an external temperature controller, especially because the vinotemps run warm enough and there isn't a significant difference, imo between a few degrees in the 60's. I like to store my cigars a bit cooler anyways. You can make spanish cedar shelves if you want, but as noted previously, a few boxes should be more than sufficient as a humidity barrier.

I have 1 pound of beads in mine. 1/2 pound in a mesh bag on the bottom over the drain hole(place a piece of black electrical tape over the drain hole) and 1/2 pound in a mesh in my top drawer. I haven't found the need for extra fans. I live just across the border from you, so we have to deal with the same environmental conditions.

Mine has been steady at 66/66 for 3 months.

I wouldn't line the interior with Spanish cedar. It's overkill and takes up space. Some drawers and shelves made from Spanish cedar will be more then enough.

You can try Woodcraft in Canton for Spanish cedar.

I plan on only makeing a few shelves for it and thanks for the link. I was wondering where around here I could get some.

Congrats on the pick-up. I picked mine up just before I left for vacation.

Linky

Has general info as well on some specific work down at the bottom.

Let me know how yours works out for you.

Brandon

Oust fans aren't being made any more. I picked up a six pack on Fleabay a couple of months ago for around $20 plus shipping.

Sorry I havent made it to the store will go on Fri. my next day off