• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vintage Humidor

Doc Wylie

Curmudgeon
My grand-uncle (and name-sake) Thomas Matthew Finn, who passed away in 1957 at the age of 72 was a cigar smoker. He had an eight grade education, worked as a fireman on the Pennsylvania Railroad as a young man and after involvement in the labor movement went to work for the US Dept. of Labor. Eventually, he rose to the rank of Chief Mediator in the Buffalo NY region for the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. 30 years later when I was working in the labor relations field I was proud to learn that he was still remembered within the ranks of the local Labor Department for his work in settling some signifiant strikes during the 30's, 40's and into the early 50's. I was only 7 years old when he passed away, but I can still remember the smell of his cigars and I'm not exaggerating when I say that at that early age I knew that when I got older I would smoke cigars as well. Cigar smoking represented to me a certain dignity,confidence and charisma that was my Uncle Tom.

Recently while rummaging through some old boxes of "stuff" I came upon this cigar box/humidor that my grandmother had given to me long ago. When I was a kid I used it to keep my "treasures" safe and secure... odd rocks and stones, pocket knives, cheap trinkets, stuff that kids think are important. I don't recall that I ever associated it with cigars at the time but I can see now that it would have been used as a humidor since it has a crude humidification device that contains some sort of fiber inner lining between a metal screen and a solid sheet of thin aluminum, with about a quarter inch of space behind it. It's made of cedar and still after all these years exudes a strong cedar smell when the box is first opened. It must have contained either custom made, or custom selected cigars because the inside lid is stamped "Especially made for Thomas M. Finn". The bottom has a City of Tampa stamp that states "These cigars are made entirely of the choicest Havana tobaccos imported from Cuba, being hand made at Tampa" and an imprint that. among other things states "Factory No. 176 Coll. District of Florida", and the stamped signature of "Jms. M. Henderson, City Clerk". The size is 12" x 7" x 4.5".

I'm planning on seasoning this box, adding modern humidification and putting it into service as a humidor for my special sticks, e.g. ISOMS and selected others. Does anyone have any specific advice for me regarding this, and does anyone have an idea of when this box would have been made and what company in Tampa may have produced the cigars that it originally held? I'm thinking it is '40's vintage.

(NOTE: New pics from 1/1/09 have been added at post #16)

That is beautiful. IMHO I wouldn't remove the old humidification. I'd just add another one. That's a classic heirloom.

That is beautiful. IMHO I wouldn't remove the old humidification. I'd just add another one. That's a classic heirloom.

Yes, I intend to leave the original humidification device in place. I'll use a gel jar until I can get beads into it.

That is a cool piece of family history.

From the looks of it, you must have loved it alot over the years, you might want to give it a general cleanup and sand the inside a little.

That is a cool piece of family history.

From the looks of it, you must have loved it alot over the years, you might want to give it a general cleanup and sand the inside a little.

The photos are of the box "as is". I do want to polish up the exterior and clean up the inside as there are some stains from stuff that must have been stored there at some point. The humidifier comes out so I'll se if I can spruce that up a little as well.

Very Nice!

No info on that box.

But here's an interesting read....go to page 4 - last 3 paragraphs. <a little history>

That begins to solve the mystery. Evidently Florida at that time regulated the cigar makers and kept track of them for tax purposes by factory number. I did a Google search for "Factory 176" but so far have not come up with anything. I wondered if I could zero in on the vintage by tracing the name of the Tampa City Clerk that is on the box. I found a listing of Tampa CIty Clerks online and learned that there was a "John A. Henderson" who was City Clerk in 1858 and a "John M. Henderson" who served from 1898-1907, but no James Henderson, which was what I assumed the "Jms "was short for. In either case, I don't believe the box is that old.

What a great piece of your family history. Congratulations in putting it back into service and I hope you put some special cigars in there.

Definitely a cool piece of family history right there. Definitely lease it as-is

That's pretty cool. My family all seemed to frown upon the fact that I'd taken up cigar smoking :(

What an awesome thing to have! I was talking to my Mom (in Florida) a while back right after my grandfather passed away. She mentioned she had found an old cigar box he had used to keep some of his tools/trinkets in (his hobby was watches). She brought it with her when she came to visit, and of course I couldn't wait to see it. It was a Thompson't cigar box. Didn't really look that old either. Ah well, it was still my Grandfather's, and I'll keep it always.

Post some pics once it's cleaned up and has some smokes in it. :)

Looks like that might be Jno. M. Henderson. Here's a linky that might be useful. You have an awesome piece of family history there. Treasure it.

Post some pics once it's cleaned up and has some smokes in it. :)

Definitely!

I'm going to spend some time lightly sanding the interior and polishing the exterior today, and then perhaps begin the seasoning process so that I can start using it to begin the New Year.

Looks like that might be Jno. M. Henderson. Here's a linky that might be useful. You have an awesome piece of family history there. Treasure it.
You're right. The more I examine the stamped signature the more it does look like Jno. I'm thinking that perhaps John M. Henderson was City Clerk when the particular ordinance that is being quoted was passed and that's why his name is on the imprint.

OK..the interior has been lightly sanded and then wiped down with distilled water, the exterior lightly polished so as to leave the aged patina intact, and the seasoning process has begun!

I finished seasoning my heirloom humidor, having added Heartfelt bead humidification and also charging the original humidifier. It's holding at around 68%. A selection of valued sticks was added (one of which was smoked not long after the pictures were taken). I'm using it to store my small collection of ISOM's.

That looks great! A nice piece of history there.

I'm thankful for you that this little piece of family history is alive and well. Now you can hand it down with a little story to tell. I often wonder where my humidors will be in a few hunderd years.