• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VSG wrapped Don Carlos Lancero review

moki

el Presidente
cut-n-paste from my review elsewhere, but I thought some here might be interested:

vsg_wrapped_dc_lancero.jpg

VSG wrapped Don Carlos Lancero (7 ½" x 41)

I was given a Don Carlos Lancero that one of CF's finest had carefully taken the wrapper off of, and re-wrapped it with some of his stock of VSG wrapper leaf that he acquired some years ago.

This Dr. Frankenstein of the cigar world has made some interesting creations, and given that I enjoy both VSGs and Don Carlos Lanceros, I was eager to give this cigar a shot.

Despite the cigar's slight curvature, it was quite well wrapped, complete with a pigtail. I decided to smoke it back to back with a regular Don Carlos Lancero, to see how they compared:

vsg_dc_lancero_compared.jpg

The regular Don Carlos Lancero came first, and it was standard DCL profile, very enjoyable. Next came the VSG-wrapped Don Carlos Lancero. What I was most interested in was the difference between the two cigars, so I focused on that rather than attempting to do a full cigar review of both.

Immediately I noticed that the VSG wrapper had substantially changed the taste of the cigar, in that the very distinctive white pepper-ish flavor of the VSG wrapper was having a fairly noticeable impact.

The cigar was definitely a bit spicier than the regular Don Carlos Lancero, and indeed, it tasted more like a VSG than a Don Carlos to me. It's possible it was the power of suggestion, but it's also possible that the wrapper -- especially on a thin vitola like this one -- does indeed have the impact that many say it does in terms of influencing taste.

I've long sought after a VSG Lancero -- I know they exist -- so this is likely the closest I'll ever come to smoking one. For that, I'm thankful to the generous CFer who gave this cigar to me.

The only downside was that I had to spend more effort keeping the cigar lit than I would have liked. I suspect that the wrapper was still too moist from the re-rolling, and I should have kept it in the humidor longer.

Still, an enjoyable experience. Thank you, Dr. Hevenstein.

Thank you for sharing this, Moki. I've always thought that a Lancero should be all about a wonderful wrapper leaf.

Cool to smoke 2 cigars at the same time to compare them.
(I believe Amateurke sometimes does this as wel :whistling: )

Rene

Niceeeeeee...

Very cool of Hev to put it together for you too.