• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want to do better on my PT test

Bigbrown

I'm in the Air Force and am 48 years old. I cannot for the life of me, run 1.5 miles faster than 12:45. I need suggestions. I run farther than 1.5 miles to train (Up to 3). I know I need to add some speed work, but how often?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. No suggestions on cutting out the beer either....I'm down to 1-2 nights a week, and only a few beers, i swear. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. and pretty healthy.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Since when do birdmen have to be in shape? Personally, I retired when I couldn't keep up with 20 something Jarheads.

Doc

Leg weights and sprints.  Strap on that extra 5lbs per leg and go out for a jog.  Every 90 seconds sprint for 10 seconds and go back to a jog. etc etc. It ain't fun but it works.

In basic/AIT we did long distance one day and fast twitch exercises the other day. Fast twitch day includes the dreaded suicide drills, crab walking, lunges, and the 30-60-90 type stuff AVB mentioned.

That fast twitch day is hard but it really works.

Ok, I think I have something that will help.

Force your breathing, all the way in and all the way out.

Probably what is happening, is you are hitting oxygen deficit. Once it hits, almost impossible to overcome.

Remember basic? When you had to do a double time, shouting a cadence? One of the reasons that a lot of guys improved pretty quickly is that shouting the cadence caused them to force their breathing in sync with the double time.

Try slowing down and get your breathing in sync, forcing it all the way in and all the way out - taking deeper, longer fuller breaths.

Then speed up and start stretching your strides while doing quicker.

Increase your distance overall, and try to run at least 3 miles, 4 times a week. You're probably basically going to have to do enough to increase your lung capacity to make it on the shorter quicker distances.

I used to always be able to run reasonably well. Then after too many years layoff couldn't hack it. Doing the above got me back to jogging 4 or 5 miles a day, usually 18 or 20 miles a week at age 60 or so.

Michael, all good advice here.  As far as speedwork goes, once to twice a week is usually all you need.  I have an excellent two-month interval program (in an excel spreadsheet) given to me several years ago by someone much more bad@ss than myself.  I trimmed MINUTES off my 1.5 with it.  PM me if you're interested; I can send via civilian email or NIPR next week.

Thanks everyone for the great replies.....I know one of the key's will be just sticking to it....I would like to get to 11:00 so will keep on chugging.

Thanks again...