• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want to share an experience......

Allofus123

Here ducky, ducky, ducky!
Last night a group of us were in the chat room cutting up and posting pics and such. One pic that I had posted was taken on New Years Day 2001. I have had several people ask me about that picture and thought I'd post the story as I remembered it the following day of the event. I am so glad that I took the time to write it down at the time as I could never tell it today as I did then. It definently was a wake up call for me in my life......

ShortCut.JPG

My last hunt of 2000

I wake up this morning, Jan. 1st, 2001, wondering if it was all a dream. I reached over to hug my wife but she was not there. I called out to her and she answered me from the living room. What a relief to hear her voice…. confirming to me that I survived. What happened to me and my friend, I pray nobody ever has to experience. This is my attempt to write this hell day down before the memory loss sets in.

It started out like any other duck hunting morning. Up at 3 a.m. and preparing coffee amongst my two dogs Ricki and Sugar. As always the excitement sets in to their tails (clearing coffee tables and such) when they see me in my camo fixing coffee. Today Ricki would stay home and Sugar who is home for the holidays, she’s been with a trainer for the pass 2 months, was going. What was suppose to make this so special was my friend was bringing his dog Honey who happens to be Sugars mother. We called it a Mother/Daughter hunt.

Vic was taking us to a place I had never hunted before The San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge. Our last couple outings had been somewhat slow and we felt a change of area from our usual spots were in order. Besides, even if we didn’t have any birds we really wanted to work the dogs. I met Vic at his place and we loaded up the dogs, guns, ammo, dekes, waders, boat etc… His boat is a 16 ft Monark (Sp?) with a 90 Merc.
We settled in for the hour or so ride talking about everything from hunting to Christmas presents we received. The road we were traveling on dead ends into the Intracoastal Waterway, which is a large, dredged out waterway inside the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico. Barges and other boat traffic use it. We were heading down this road about 65 M.P.H. joking and still talking when I heard Vic holler “Oh F***” and locked up his truck. What happened in the next 5 seconds seemed like slow motion to me this morning. The road was pitch dark, no lights but the headlights. The boat ramp parking lot at the end of the road has a streetlight but it was out. (We later learned the lights had been shot out) When I heard Vic holler and lock it up I could see the 2 to 3 foot poles sticking out of the ground that formed the border around the parking lot. At this time, since I had never been here before, I thought we were getting ready to mow down a pole and end up out in a field. That was my first thought for about 2 seconds of the slide. I processed in the next second that there was no field beyond those poles….it was the water. The next 2 seconds all I thought about was brace yourself. When we landed I was surprise at how soft we landed. It almost felt like we landed on a pillow. My focus now turned to getting out of the sinking truck. Neither of us appeared injured but as the next 10 to 15 minutes unfolded I did have some concerns for Vic. His reactions to me appeared slow and somewhat incoherent. I realized now it was shock.

The water was coming in now and I couldn’t open the door. I kept thinking about survival training and how we had to let the truck fill up to the top before being able to open the doors. The water was now up to the seat when I saw the electric window go down. (While I had been trying to open the door Vic hit the window buttons and they worked.) Once I saw that window go down my mind automatically switched to the dogs. Their kennels were strapped in the bed of the truck. I saw the boat floating on my side of the truck but still attached to the winch on the trailer. I pulled myself out the window and threw my body out landing on the truck bed railing. The truck bed was for the most part still out of the water but you could see the front of the truck was going under. I landed mostly in the water soaking me from just above the waist down. I pulled myself into the bed of the truck and opened the first dog kennel grabbing and literally throwing the dog into the boat. I repeated this with the next kennel. I then jumped into the boat myself and started grabbing anything I could see floating. This including hunting parka’s, wader’s, blind bag’s, etc… It was at that time that I realized that Vic was just getting into the bed of the truck. He asked about the dogs and I told him to get in the boat I already had them. That’s when I realized that he was not processing quickly. I continued to grab what I could from the water and toss it in the boat. I heard Vic holler we’re still attached to the trailer as he hung over the side trying to release the winch from the bow. Once he got the bowline free I began to sigh a bit of relief. We were all safe and relatively unhurt.

We lowered his trolling motor and retrieved the 3 bags of dekes that had floated away. We returned to the truck, which had settled to the bottom. It was apparently on a slope as the right rear of the trucks roof was bearly visible at the water line and the front left was two to 3 feet under. I figured the boat trailer was acting like an anchor. Lucky for us as the channel is some 20 to 40 ft deep. The dog kennels were completely submerged. It just didn’t seem real. We floated over the top of the truck and I reached down and unhooked the strapped in dog kennels. We then docked and unloaded the kennels and dogs. My cell phone which I retrieved from the submerged glove box at some point (I still don’t remember when I did) was dead. Apparently shorted out from the water. Vic decided he was going to start walking for a phone and I would stay with the dogs. After he left I started to realize how cold it was. I was soaked from just above my waist on down. The air temp was around 35 with a sharp east wind of 10 to 15 mph. Every bit of warm clothing I had was soaking wet. I started walking around the parking lot trying to heat up.

About 20 to 30 minutes had passed when a truck approached. It was trailering an airboat and as it got closer I realized that Vic was in the bed of the truck. Three guys (duck hunters) had seen Vic walking and picked him up. They had a cell phone and Vic called his wife to round up his brother-in-law and truck to come get us. After a few minutes of explaining to these guys what we had just been through and thanking them for the use of the phone we wished them well on their duck hunt. We knew that we had help on the way and there was no sense imposing on these strangers any more then we already had. What happened next floored me. One of the guys said that if we would lock his truck up if we left before they returned that he would leave his truck unlocked so we could get out of the cold and to help ourselves to the cell phone. We told them that they didn’t need to do this that we were fine but he insisted. After they launched their airboat and were on their way I was really happy to be able to get in that truck. I was shivering from the cold and the wind appeared to be picking up. Talk about renewing your faith in your fellow man. These guys left a brand new 2001 F-150 crew cab truck unlocked + their cello phone for two total strangers.

There is quite a bit more to this story that involves the way the truck and trailer was pulled out of the water and the return trip with my trailer (his was totaled as was his truck) so that we could retrieve his boat. Those are both stories within themselves and I might try and write them down later today.

Today I am thankful to be looking at another year. It seems like a dream looking back at what happened yesterday morning. I realized today that during the whole episode I never once had my life flash before me. I never once thought about my wife or children. During the first 3 to 5 minutes we were in the water I never once even thought of Vic sitting next to me. (I was thinking of the dogs) My mind was so wired into staying calm and surviving that I didn’t have time to be thinking of anything else. Seems a bit strange now. My family means the world to me.

I spoke to Vic this morning and he said he felt fine. I have some bruises on my shin, probably from jumping in the truck bed or boat. We lost some electronic gadgets …not physically…the water ruin them. (Cell phone, GPS, etc..) Vic lost his truck, trailer, and some extensive fiberglass damage to his boat ABOVE the waterline, thank god. I told Vic that I think it was a good trade. A few physical possessions for our lives.

Kenny,
Thanks for sharing that story. Experiences like that really make you realize what's important in life. Things you took for granted suddenly regain their significance and some things you thought were important begin to pale. I'm glad to hear everything turned out OK.

Butch

Wow, Kenny, great story...thanks for sharing that with us. My next cigar is for you, brother.

I have had a similar experience. I flipped a car into a lake in Baton Rouge late one night with my girlfriend in the passenger seat. Her window was down and the sunroof was open so the car filled up instantly. It's kinda odd how we reacted. I was like you, Kenny, just after it happened I was calm and focused only on getting us both out of there alive. While she, on the other hand freaked. She just froze there and made no effort to get out - I never knew why, but after reading your story I now know it was shock. Anyway, her window was open and she wasn't moving so I swam out across her and surfaced to get a breath. The water wasn't all that deep. I went back down and she was still there so I literally jerked her out through the window and dragged her to the surface. She had bruises on her side and abdomen where she'd scraped against the window frame of the car. I got us to shore and only then did it hit me how close we'd come to dying. And boy did it hit me! My hands started shaking and I became almost incoherent for a bit. Eventually I calmed down and the police came and her parents came and the rest of the night is a fog. But I'm thankful to be alive and I know you are too Kenny because I think I know how you feel.

Holy Crap

Worst exp I had was getting hit head on by a drunk driver when I was 19. I was in a 88 Blazer, she was in a dumpy 70's Firebird. She was doing 55 in a 30, I was doing 35. I went over her car, tipped over, but nothing serious. Couldn't say the same for the crazy girl that hit me. Broke her arm, her nose and her legs. But my girlfriend at the time and I were able to walk away from it without as much as a scratch.

Crazy lady ended up serving 18 months for DUI, suspended license, opened container, no insurance, blah blah blah.

Brother Kenny,

WOW! Thanks for sharing the story with us... I am glad that you, Vic and dogs were unharmed... simply incredible Bro!

Aloha,

Wade

A sobering story, Kenny, but very well told. Events like that really put things into perspective.

In 1992, I was returning home eastbound on I-40, just west of Hickory, NC, where I live. It was summertime and one of those brief, heat induced, afternoon thundershowers had passed by moments before. It wasn't raining, but the highway was wet. I pulled out into the left lane to pass this lady in a white car who was traveling slower. I was just concentrating on ending the day, and getting HOME. We were going up a long uphill grade which was curving gently to the left. As my car tried to pick up speed to pass and to climb the incline, the automatic transmission in my Chevrolet Caprice company car down shifted. When this happened the back end of the car broke completely loose...at about 65-70 m.p.h. The front of the car started left toward the median of I-40, headed for west bound traffic. There was no median divider and I was going way too fast to stop. Both lanes on the other side were full of traffic - cars, and at least two tractor trailers. I knew that if I crossed the median, I would absolutely be killed and I would take several innocent people with me. So, I steered left into the slide and the back end of the car corrected. Thank God I had momentarily caught it, and I wasn't headed left any longer. The only problem was I was still going 65 mph, and out of control. Instantly, the back end snap rolled in the opposite direction. The Caprice's steering just wasn't quick enough to hold the back end and to straighten up the car. The next thing I know I'm now going BACKWARDS, still at 65+ mph in the eastbound lane of I-40. I was looking through the windshield, directly at the front end of the lady in the white car that I had just passed. Luckily, she had sense enough to slow down, and there were no other cars next to me. So here I am, going backwards at 65+ mph down a wet road on the Interstate. As Kenny said, I didn't panic, in fact I was completely calm and rational. I asked myself, "How do you get out of this one Sam? How do you get the car straightened out, AGAIN, without dying?" I looked over my left shoulder briefly and I saw that I was sliding toward a deep gully without a guard rail. In about 3 seconds the car would flip end over end, and I would be dead. I wondered what it was going to feel like. To my amazement, I was going so fast backwards, that my car slip up the interstate and past the gully. Instantly, I decided to try a maneuver that I had used on ice in the past. I locked up the brake petal with both feet and spun the steering wheel hard to the left. The car instantly did a 180 degree turn, actually more like a 270, and I was headed for a steep bank on the right hand side of the road. The car slid and slid and slid. I kept both feet on the brakes, and the Caprice came to a stop just 1 foot from the bank, just missing a steel guard rail. Where was that guard rail when I had needed it? I didn't hit anything or anyone, and I didn't damage the car one iota. There was only one piece of broom straw stuck under the front spoiler that I picked up in the grass on the side of the Interstate.

The lady in the white car drove on past. Several oncoming cars must have wondered what the Chevrolet Caprice was doing sitting on the side of the interstate with the front end of the car pointed toward a bank. When there was no traffic, I backed up the car, and slowly turned around to head in the PROPER direction, with the front end of the car leading the way, and I headed home. I was as calm as if I was going through the drive thru window of Wendy's - probably in shock - until I got out of the car at home. Then I got the shakes, after considering how close that I had come to dying. I had dodged death three or four times in one event, which took only a matter of 10 seconds or less.

Upon closer inspection at home, I saw that my left rear tire had a section of tire, about 1/2 inch wide that was slick...and I had not noticed it. When the car downshifted this caused the tire to lose traction. Plus, I was just going too darn fast for the conditions. I pay closer attention to my tires nowadays, and I slow down (a little, LOL) when the roads are wet. I also have a set of Goodyear Aquatread 3's on my present company car. This is supposed to be the absolute best tire for wet conditions, and indeed they are probably the best tire that I have ever run on my car...including Michelins.

Kenny, your story made me think of this. I hope you don't mind my relating the story. I will never forget that day. Thank goodness, I am a pretty good driver! Thank goodness, we both lived to tell the tale. Whew.

Sam J.

I myself have had a brush with death, in a motor vehicle, a time or two. I know what the shock is like, and the calm feelings even in the face of it. I am just glad you guys are all here to tell of them.

And then we have the dogs....I am glad you remembered those pups Kenny, you get a hero's badge for that one bro. :thumbs:

........then there was the time that I had my left rear tire EXPLODE while doing 85 mph on the Interstate coming back from a trip to New Orleans. I looked up into the rear view mirror, and there were chunks of tire and black rubber residue going everywhere!

While I was getting the "doughnut" spare out of the trunk, my fire extinguisher went off in the trunk spraying white power all over creation. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed the remains of the tire, because all that remained was part of the side wall - and it was smoking profusely. It looked like a black, laurel wreath. Oh yeah, THAT was a fun ride!

Lesson: When you have a flat, or as in this case the tire literally explodes - stay off of the brakes until the car slows down to a controlable speed.

I'm glad that I'm not a cat, because about 7 of my 9 lives would be gone! ROFLMAO

Sam :)

This is one of the most interesting stories ever posted here at CP(IMO). I thought for all you newer members it would be a interesting read if you hadn't ever dug back far enough to find it. :)

Yes Jeff, thanks for topping this. I had wondered what that picture was all about when Kenny had posted it in his profile a few weeks ago but was too afraid to ask because based on the picture, I thought it had a scary story associated with it and sure enough I was unfortunately correct. At least the story had a good ending with no one getting seriously hurt. As Kenny said, you can replace things like cell phones and GPS equipment but lives, well, that's something else.

WOW!

Wow Kenny
Crazy story and very well told.
I'm glad you and your friend and the dogs came out ok.

Wow.

Two examples of why I resolved about a year ago that henceforth all my cars will have antilock brakes.

Well, I don't think the anti-lock brakes would have made any difference in the outcome of the story Kenny told as it was completely dark and the driver had no idea to road ended into water until it was way too late? How would anti-locks have helped out there?

Wow, thank god it all turned out OK in the end. Thanks for sharing that again with us new guys.

I'd have to agree with CoventryCat about the Anti-lock brakes. Not sure what Lumburg was implying but anti-lock brakes would not have prevented that. There are studies that show while Anti-lock brakes improve stopping distance on the test track it doesn't in real world practice.

Well, I've never driven a car in my life with anti-lock brakes since the newest car I own ia a 1987 :D

I like to live life on the edge