• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wanting to try pipes

Imagine

Dr. Grabow pipes?

I've read about them online, and they're briar, which is good (right?) and while machine made, still a decent smoke. What am I cheating myself out of by buying a DG instead of a more expensive handmade pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Grabow pipes?

I've read about them online, and they're briar, which is good (right?) and while machine made, still a decent smoke. What am I cheating myself out of by buying a DG instead of a more expensive handmade pipe?

Thanks in advance.

I started out with a Dr Grabow many many many years ago. I was very pleased with it and it had a huge ass bowl which made my day. I smoke that one to the ground even after i got some nice pipes. I then passed it onto my dad and he killed it finally. Its nothing fancy but to get an introduction into the pipe world it will do just fine till you get a feel for them.

Great question (I asked a similar one on a pipe board this morning) and Loren, great reply. Thank you very much.

IMHO I have found that most of pipe selection is more personal preference that performance. I have bought Dr. Grabow pipes and seconds and they smoke some what as nice as my more expensive pipes. They make great starter pipes for those who want to start but not wanting to invest in an expensive pipe. However, I have had some fit and finish issue with the DG. But I had one until I lost it fishing. So my advice is get one try it if you like pipe smoking upgrade to a better quality pipe. If you don’t your not out the money for an expensive pipe. Good luck.

L/W

I bought one. And some Cherry Cavendish. I'm yet to try it. Probably tonight at some point. Thanks for your help.

I reaaaaaaaaally enjoyed it.

The pipe smoked very smoothly, and the tobacco, while a bit too mild at first, really came together after about a minute of smoking. The flavor is much less fake than with a flavored cigar.

I'm really nto gonna like this "let it rest a day" rule. :(

hehe

I tried some Dr. Grabow pipes in the beginning and thought they were awful. Was going to give up on smoking pipes until I bought my Nording like the one that Mr. Peat just bought. Every other pipe I have bought since is way better than the Grabow. JMHO

Got my eyes on a Nording. I'll probably purchase it while on leave so that when I get back here it's waiting for me to break in.

I have a Savinelli Duca Carlo for a beginners and it gets the job done, I just need to step it up a couple notches.