• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Warning on eBay tins

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
I thought I'd post some observations and interpretations that may help someone considering bidding on eBay tins.

Authenticity:

There is not much recourse in some cases if you are taken. IF you can prove it, then maybe. But buyer beware is a better alternative. First, and this is always true, don't blindly trust. One of the reasons certain tins go for more is because it's easy to verify authenticity. An example is a Dunhill with the tall letters - almost impossible to fake. Another is a blend you know was discontinued after a certain date.

On the other hand, I saw a "Buy It Now" offer of $44 for a "Painted" Dunhill tin. Most, BUT NOT ALL, Dunhill painted tins are from the Murray era. Don't buy a tin of Orlik for $44!

Rip-offs:

How do you know a date on the bottom of a tin is real? You don't!!

It says in the conditions of the sale that the item is "no longer available". While this may be interpreted as other than the obvious, it's sometimes just a lie.

Tins that are not vacuum packed OR sealed in the sense of airtight. Old C&D tins(not sure of the cut-off year) are one example. It says as a condition of sale that the contents are NOT FOR CONSUMPTION. Stale tobacco is NOT a reason for refund or return. Not technically a rip-off but the seller knows most plan on smoking it so ...

I hope this helps,

Steve

Since I posted this I checked the Tin Section and one guy is hawking numerous Orlik tins of Dunhill for $50 to $80 a pop! He doesn't seem to have many takers. :)

A great source for hard to find stuff is

http://www.pipestud.com

No affiliation, haven't actually bought tobacco from him, but he's active on SF and I've bought a few pipes from him, upstanding guy...

No affiliation, haven't actually bought tobacco from him, but he's active on SF and I've bought a few pipes from him, upstanding guy...
Agreed! You can trust his judgment on rare tins and he's been a contributer on tobaccoreviews.com for a long time.

Also, he used to auction his tins on eBay as he still does his pipes. It's my hunch that he saw what was happening with the influx of hucksters hawking dubious drivel and decided to sell his quality stuff outside of his ebay Consignment Shop to avoid being tainted by association.

Agreed! You can trust his judgment on rare tins and he's been a contributer on tobaccoreviews.com for a long time.

Also, he used to auction his tins on eBay as he still does his pipes. It's my hunch that he saw what was happening with the influx of hucksters hawking dubious drivel and decided to sell his quality stuff outside of his ebay Consignment Shop to avoid being tainted by association.
I think ebay and PayPal shut down his account for selling the tobacco in one of their selective rules enforcement moments. He posted about it over on Smokers Forum, I think. That's my recollection, fuzzy as it may be. :laugh:

I think ebay and PayPal shut down his account for selling the tobacco in one of their selective rules enforcement moments. He posted about it over on Smokers Forum, I think. That's my recollection, fuzzy as it may be. :laugh:
Turns out he has some tins on eBay now! Edit to add: Nope, I was wrong! Just someone who hasn't sold anything for five years who happens to have four of the same rare tins as Sir Dude. Hmmm :D

But I did notice that, like eBay, the tobacco is "not intended for consumption". He's also selling an old tin of C&D before they vacuum packed(2000). Unless it was kept in a humid place it's ruined. Some of the bags he has may be dry and because they are "collectibles" this is not a reason for a refund. But vacuum packed tins are usually great so, as always, buyer beware. ;)

Well, with Mr. Stud, if you ask his opinion, he'll give it, and so on something like the bagged stuff, I'd ask. He probably has an idea of what condition you'll likely find.

On the C&D stuff, I'm curious myself, especially on the pressed tobacco. It seems to me that it would take a LONG time for the core of a pressed brick to dry out, if it was wrapped in 4 mil plastic.

I'm also curious about the Esoterica stuff, given that the bags are pretty heavy mylar. It's not airtight, but it's close...

I'm pretty sure the Esoterica packaging is designed to preserve for quite a few years.

But the bottom line is no one can 100% guarantee the quality of these older containers without opening them. The vacuum packed tins are good IF the seal is not broken either by corrosion or impact. The degree of confidence drops off down to the one C&D tin that is not sealed at all or, 100% sure it's no good UNLESS it was kept humidified..

So to insure against that problem and the inherent lack of ability at assessing it they are offered as collectible items. The contents are clearly stated as "NOT FOR CONSUMPTION". So I guess he has to be very careful what he says about those contents for their freshness is a non-issue from that standpoint.

So really it's about the same sit as eBay. Of course, there is nothing stopping a seller from giving a refund regardless of the terms ...