• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Watching Shuttle Launch from KSC

The Green Monkey

Brap-brap
Assuming all goes according to plan, The Helper Monkey and I are going up to watch the space shuttle launch on Tuesday. We've got tickets to watch from the grounds at Kennedy Space Center, and are all set with a tour company to shuttle (haha) us from a remote parking lot to KSC via tour bus at 7:00 AM. There are a bunch of activities (museum, tours, etc.) and whatnot for us to do during the day leading up to the launch which is scheduled for 4:17 PM.

I'm curious whether anyone here has ever done this sort of thing before, or if not for a launch viewing, at least whether anyone knows if KSC is a cigar friendly environment. They're pretty hardcore about the list of items you can bring onto the premises (think TSA regulations) and anything that they don't allow must be returned to your vehicle, which is a problem for me since the tour bus will not be available for me to stash my cutter or lighter if they don't make it past security. I'd have to leave my stuff with security and return on another day to retrieve the contraband, and since I live 230 miles away, I'd pretty much never see the stuff again. For that reason, I'm leaning towards taking some pre-cut tubos and just bringing a disposable Bic. Having never had to do the whole cut-at-home-before-leaving-the-house-and-carry-it-around-in-a-tubo-all-day thing, is there anything non-intuitive about doing so that I should know in advance?

Also, I'm concerned that things might be so crowded at the viewing location that I'd feel rude about burning a stick anyway, so that's another thing I'm hoping to hear any advice/experiences about.

Thanks!

I plan on attending the 27 Febrruary 2011 launch and look forward to your observations and insight after viewing this launch.

I saw a launch in April of 1994. It was one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. There isn't a bad spot from which to view the launch at Cape Canaveral.

I watch them from my driveway
Smokes, beer, whatever I have no tsa regulations
They are spectacular to see at the cape but be prepared to sit in traffic for hours on end

Don

I wish I had someone to watch the baby.... I would love to go see it.