• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Weird question

Kosmo

This is going to seem like a pretty odd question, but there's some odd folks on here that I'm sure could give me a good answer :p :

How do I go about disposing of five gallons of mineral oil?

Situation: I have a computer that I built in high school for my senior project. The motherboard and all onboard components are submersed in a fish tank filled with mineral oil, which serves as a coolant. This is possible due to the fact that mineral oil does not conduct electricity, and therefore will not short out any of the components. The components with moving parts (hard drive, optical drives), are located on top of the tank, and the cables run down to the motherboard. It's a neat little machine that has served me well for three years.

However, the computer is getting a bit outdated, and is VERY messy to upgrade, as you can imagine. As such, I am looking to trash it, while salvaging the hard drives and optical drives that have never come into contact with the mineral oil. My biggest dilemma is what to do with the oil. Is it safe to just pour it down the drain, or do I need to go about disposing of it more "properly?"

Any help would be appreciated. And DON'T say "Drink it!", because I am well aware that mineral oil is a natural laxative.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You should be able to just toss it down the drain.

Mineral oil is considered a hazardous waste and should be disposed of properly at wherever you local disposal point it. Mineral oil is a byproduct of making gasoline and is not earth friendly.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Mineral oil is considered a hazardous waste and should be disposed of properly at wherever you local disposal point it. Mineral oil is a byproduct of making gasoline and is not earth friendly.

I agree, just bottle it and take it to Auto Zone or another place like that that takes motor oil for recycling, they should be able to take it and dispose of it properly.

If it was a USP grade of white mineral oil, it should be safe. That mineral oil is ok'd for direct consumption (albeit in small quantities). We also sell it as a dust supressant for both dirt roads and animal feed. I've never actually dealt with mineral oil waste, but the virgin stuff isn't hazardous. If you know a mechanic, see if you can just dump it in his recycled oil drum just to be safe.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Donate it to Bfreebe for his annual Oiled Oinkers plus size women festival.

When is this festival!!! How much does it cost to get in?

Rich

Rumor has it that a CP member ( ...who shall remain anonymous) grateful1 cough cough was able to "get in" with the aide of some Wild Turkey and a dozen jelly donuts. But if the ladies find you mildly attractive, you may be able to score with just the jelly donuts.