• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well, I joined the ranks of pipe smokers today

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
I was at a local B&M today and for some reason I could not decide on what cigars I wanted to buy as nothing seemed to strike my fancy. As I exited the humi I noticed their selection of pipe tobacco in the corner and began to sample the delectable smells of the various blends.

This led me to their selection of pipes and I spent the next forty five minutes or so looking at various pipes and when all was said and done (being the impulse buyer that I am) I walked out of the store with a beautiful Savinelli Pisa #603 and some starter tobacco called "Snowflake" which I chose by smell alone.
AAAAC1cbhUEAAAAAAJZ8kQ.jpg

Now comes the learning part. Luckily we have this wonderful pipe forum here to get me knowledgeable in the art of pipe smoking. ;)

Welcome to pipes. I really like my pipe but I still love cigars first. The price of pipe tobacco is also very attractive especially for a everyday smoking option. I would have to recommend West Indies and I say stay away from Dark Twist. I've had nothing but problems with that. Also I would suggest a good pipe lighter. Check out the offerings from Xikar or JetLine.

I recently got into pipes. I now own seven and have commissioned one to be made to my specs. Should have it in my hands next week.

Welcome to the world of pipes! I started in pipes a few years ago, however really only smoke them during the fall, when the weather becomes cool and cloudy. I usually smoke the pipe inside, as it fills the house with a lovely aroma that everyone seems to enjoy. :D

Learning how to smoke a pipe is half the fun; nothing like cigars. Pipes require much more attention, however can be very rewarding.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll sample lots of tasty blends!

I've been getting my pipes out more and more as the temps dip up here.

Enjoy the journey. It's not something you'll master overnight. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for years and seriously into it for about 2 years now and I still learn new things all the time.

Don't give up, stick with it, and you will be rewarded.

Nice pipe - Savinelli makes great smoking pipes. You should get many years of pleasure from it.

Welcome!

Yep, for some reason the fall's the best time to smoke a pipe. Strange. I understand winter when it doesn't stink up the house as much as cigars.

Check out the stickys.

Love my pipes, love the complex tastes of pipe tobacco. I went from smoking mainly cigars to now using pipes almost exclusvely. When the weather is warm, I might wander outside with a nice Por Larranaga cigar, but not as often as before.

If you take the time to develop your 'pipe palette' as well as master your techniques, you will be well rewarded for your patience.

Many a cigar smoker has made the switch to smoking pipes exclusively after years of experience with them. It can take a long time before you really get it though. A pipe is much more challenging to smoke than a cigar. It takes a lot of experience and patience to get it just right. There are so many variables associated with a god smoke in a pipe. The pipe must be packed correctly and smoked at the right pace, and this varies from different tobacco types. Some pipes seem to mysteriously like certain types of tobacco better than others. It's really an art form and not quickly mastered. Pipes are for a certain type of person who enjoys a challenge and perhaps is a bit more original and artistically minded or a bit quirky as enjoying one in public really gets you some strange looks from people these days. What was once mainstream couldn't be farther from it now, which is fine by me. Although, I'm sure we will have some fellows here on cigarpass that would take issue with that assessment. I hope it works out for you and we can have one more of "us" and one less of "them". And remember to just try to enjoy yourself and not over think it. If at first you feel the need to puff away like mad to keep it lit than by all means do, hopefully you are not prone to tongue bite. Cheers!

Well, it has been almost two months now since I picked up my first pipe and began the journey.

My Savinelli is beginning to season well and I seem to enjoy it more and more each day.

I now have tried several aromatic blends from bulk barrels at my local tobacconist's shop and enjoy them all. I recently picked up a tin of Erinmore Flake and wow, what a nice smoke!

I really enjoy the "process" of smoking a pipe. From filling the bowl, tamping and lighting to taking that first sip of tasty smoke....it's like I'm participating in a time honored ritual.... which, I guess, it in fact is.

There is something quite soothing and relaxing about taking a puff and slowly blowing that sweet smelling smoke out and savoring not only the taste but the aroma as well as the smoke curls and rises around me.

I have gotten nothing but positive comments when I've smoke around other people although a few stares and double-takes from people when they glance over on the freeway and see me smoking a pipe :D

Finally - After reading the pinned threads here and experiencing it first hand, I have come to realize that smoking a pipe is not without its necessary chores....namely keeping the pipe clean. However I even enjoy this ritual and liken it to my firearms. If I go out and shoot one of my guns, I know that as soon as I get home I have to clean it and oil it to get it ready for the next time I use it. Likewise with the pipe and much like the guns, it is a necessary ritual that I truly enjoy. It is actually not much different at all from cleaning a firearm with the exception of applying oil after the cleaning (although if I want to shine up the bowl..well...). The pipe has its required disassembly of the components, the careful cleaning of each piece, the reassembly and it even has its own unique aroma just it is the aroma of burnt tobacco and not of gun cleaning solvent.

I want to thank all the folks here in the pipe forum for making the decision to take up the pipe such an easy one for me and for helping make it all the more enjoyable.

Cheers!

Danny

Somebody's got the bug... :laugh:

I'm glad you've discovered something that gives you such pleasure.

A pipe is quite different from a cigar. Every aspect except one - they both deliver nicotine. Although with cigars it's usually more.

The pipe is more proactive. :)