• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Went Fishin' This Morning

Castaway

Got 4 redfish this morning fishing from my kayak. Here's the biggest - 24 inches.

120342.jpg

Caught 'em all on Exude Slugs.

Nice fish, nice background :)

Looking forward to the season myself.

Where did you fish for redfish, or is that your special place?

Very nice. I envy you guys that live in a warm climate and can be outdoors all year round.

No big deal, I see that scenery all the time. :laugh:

Nice catch.

Wife is not too big on eating fish. We went out this one time and they had Red Fish on the menu. She said that was the best fish she ever had.

Nice catch! I do love Redfish, hell of a fighter and great to eat.

What kind of kayak? I was thinking of getting one, was leaning to the Hobie.

Ken

The spot is along the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) just north of Venice.

This time of year the reds can be found on the flats in about a foot of water. I paddle out in my Wilderness Systems Riot sit-on-top (8.5 ft, 40 lbs) to one of the large shallow areas (a "flat") along the ICW and look for surface activity like swirls and ripples that indicate fish are in the area.

The fish making the swirls are usually mullet, but the reds like to hang around mullet schools because the mullet stir up the bottom and the reds like to eat crabs and worms that hide in the mud. Sometimes the reds are "tailing," with their heads in the mud and their tails sticking out of the shallow water. That's cool to see.

Them reds do taste good, but I haven't kept any for a few years. There's a slot limit of one per day between 18 and 27 inches. Over that size, the reds are ready to move offshore and spawn. They grow about an inch per month. I don't want to kill one just a few months before he's/she's reached "amnesty" size.

If anyone's ever in the area, give a holler...I've got an extra kayak. :thumbs:

My New Year's resoultion is to fish more and I can't wait for it to warm up around here.

Nice catch. Looks like fun. I've never fished for redfish, but it seems to be gaining in popularity. Are there many guides down there for redfish fishing? There are plenty of bass guides and offshore guides that I've seen, but I've never seen anyone advertise as a redfish guide.

Very nice. I envy you guys that live in a warm climate and can be outdoors all year round.

I live in northern MN and I'm outdoors all year. In fact, sometimes the ice fishing is more fun than the warm weather fishing. :)

"There are plenty of bass guides and offshore guides that I've seen, but I've never seen anyone advertise as a redfish guide."

They advertise as "flats fishing" guides. They use flats boats that can float in very shallow water - 8 inches - and target redfish, snook and seatrout.

"There are plenty of bass guides and offshore guides that I've seen, but I've never seen anyone advertise as a redfish guide."

They advertise as "flats fishing" guides. They use flats boats that can float in very shallow water - 8 inches - and target redfish, snook and seatrout.
Ahhh....thanks for the info! :)