• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What a coinkydink

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I was slacking off at lunch today. Decided to smoke an SLR Habano I got in a bomb last week (I guess I should post a review) and wandered to a local cigar bar/martini bar where I am going later on tonight. They had Opus X FFs for $50 a pop. :0

Then I stopped by JR on the way back and what do you know, they had some Opus X in stock! SO I bought some at MSRP.

I am stopping by there two more times today :sneaky:

Thanks to Lumberg for watching out for me and taking the time to leave me a voicemail on this... I took his advice and went in after work to molest their stock...

I picked up 4 robustos, 4 double coronas, and 4 each of two other smallish sizes that I'm not familiar with, along with a misc. opi tubo he tossed me for fun. Also picked up a box of Diamond Crown Piramide #7's in Maduro... which was around 80 bucks below retail (highly recommended smoke for those who like the maduro hemingways... IMO).

Pic...!

- Oak

Local Washington DC JR's outlet... (near 17th and L in NW DC for the locals)

I don't usually swing in there myself - but Lumberg tipped me they had gotten a big Fuente shipment...

They ran out of Opi at exactly 6:30 pm last night, and let's just say I had something to do with that. ;)

Lumberg said:
They ran out of Opi at exactly 6:30 pm last night, and let's just say I had something to do with that. ;)
That wily Fuente marketing works, I tell ya! ;)

If you don't mind guys, post the prices you paid per stick (don't have to say how many sticks you got of course) -- people need to see that you DON'T have to pay an arm and a leg for Opus X's.

moki said:
Not only does it work. That's exactly how it works.

Lumberg probably isn't the only person who told his buddies that the Opus were available. Once the word got out that JR had them, everyone probably went running over there (or called their wives from work and sent them over there).

Moreover, people (who don't live near DC) may have read his post on this board, and said "what the hell, I'll swing by my local JR on the way home" (BTW, Whippany didn't have any :p ).

Anyway, when the Opus Crusaders arrived at the shops and couldn’t find any Opus. They still had money that they had mentally committed to purchasing cigars. So guess what, more than a few of them probably bought the next best thing (another Fuente product).

Additionally, Oak (who “doesn’t usually swing into JR”) was enticed to go there by the fact that Lumberg told him the Opus were available. While he was there he grabbed up a box of Diamond Crowns (a Fuente collaboration).

And there you have it, the perfect marketing model, all played out in one day’s time right here on CP for all of us to learn from.

Lesson over. :p

lbrief said:
moki said:
Not only does it work. That's exactly how it works.

Lumberg probably isn't the only person who told his buddies that the Opus were available. Once the word got out that JR had them, everyone probably went running over there (or called their wives from work and sent them over there).

Moreover, people (who don't live near DC) may have read his post on this board, and said "what the hell, I'll swing by my local JR on the way home" (BTW, Whippany didn't have any :p ).

Anyway, when the Opus Crusaders arrived at the shops and couldn’t find any Opus. They still had money that they had mentally committed to purchasing cigars. So guess what, more than a few of them probably bought the next best thing (another Fuente product).

Additionally, Oak (who “doesn’t usually swing into JR”) was enticed to go there by the fact that Lumberg told him the Opus were available. While he was there he grabbed up a box of Diamond Crowns (a Fuente collaboration).

And there you have it, the perfect marketing model, all played out in one day’s time right here on CP for all of us to learn from.

Lesson over. :p
You've missed my point. My point was poking fun at people who claim that Opus X cigars are "all hype" and people buy them not because they like them, but because they are brainwashed by Fuente's market savvy.

A very different point than what you're making (and I'd dispute a number of the points you raised as well).

I'm not quite understanding this train of thought..........Maybe guys could help me out.

'OPUS X is an 'above average' smoke. Now, if these above average smokes are not mass produced, then it must be some kind of ploy? Or they 'limit' how many are released for sale?'

I get the marketing. The ONE I smoked told me these were damn good. And at $10.50 MSRP (Robusto) that seems fair. Now if you have to pay MSRP+, considering all of the factors (MSRP, tobacco tax, supply, demand, etc..) I guess it makes sense. When you have a product people want, you get to dictate the terms.

I think if AF were to 'ramp' up production, these would lose their luster and hurt their image. My understanding of the Fuente business mindset is quality not quantity. This all makes sense to me. Supply and demand determines pricing and marketshare. They are just utilizing a less used business model......more profit per unit due to high demand and low supply. Not like give aways and small margin mass produced units. AF is the quentessential small business......favorable margins and favorable conditions.

It works for them and as far as I am concerned, I will buy more of them. They are a quality smoke PERIOD.

moki said:
You've missed my point. My point was poking fun at people who claim that Opus X cigars are "all hype" and people buy them not because they like them, but because they are brainwashed by Fuente's market savvy.

A very different point than what you're making

Ahh!. . . but, the point I've made here is the only point I've ever raised with regard to Opus Marketing (refering of course to the same discussion in the other thread).

moki said:
(and I'd dispute a number of the points you raised as well).

By all means, I would love to entertain any dispute you may have.

Indeed, I've been waiting for two days and across two threads at this point. :p

I try not to buy Domestics anymore, but you guys are SOOOO lucky to have a place like JR's locally... Where I live (Dallas/Ft Worth), we have some nice cigar shops, but most of them mark up the good stuff so much, its cheaper to save up your money (3-4 trips for singles to a local shop) and buy a box from the dark side.

Its because of that I've all but stopped going to local shops, because I hate buying $8 to $10+ cigars, I don't really enjoy- and it gets tacky to keep walking in with your own "carry ins" and smoke in their shops :(

Congrats on the nice haul boys....

:thumbs: Toaster

Geez guys no need to make a big deal of it. They're out there and we're all free to act and think as we choose.

My philosophy is if I have the chance to get 'em at MSRP I buy as many as I can. I just like to have them on hand. I don't go out of my way to get them anymore.

They are good cigars, and, I believe, worth MSRP and not more.

lbrief said:
By all means, I would love to entertain any dispute you may have.

Indeed, I've been waiting for two days and across two threads at this point. :p
I've really no desire to hijack this thread and turn it into a semantic debate...

...so guys... what did you pay per stick for what sizes, if you don't mind?

Back