• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What a fun night!

billbaker3

I got home from work yesterday and my mother (who watches the kid for us) said that my son, who is 11 months, didn't look like he is feeling good. I took his temp and it was at 101.

My wife got home and we at dinner and feed the kid. At about 8 we put him down for bed. He really never went to sleep. Around 10:30 we took his temp again and he was at 104.

We immediately called the doc since his breathing was pretty fast and he was pretty lethargic.

Off to the emergency room we went. We didn't get home till about 2 and the kid really didn't sleep at night. He woke up crying about every 45 minutes.

We took him to the docs today and she said that he just has a virus and theres nothing to worry about.

Seriously there is nothing worse then having to take your kid to the hospital.

that does suck especially when you are all worried and they talk to you like it was nothing, like you should have never been concerned.

hope he fells better

Sorry to hear this Bill. Sick kids are a tough thing. You would trade places with them in a second if you could just to allieviate their suffering. Hope the little guy is going to be just fine.

I know the feeling brother. Even having a medical background doesn't help. When they are that little there is really not a whole lot you can do for them. My daughter went through the same thing 3 months ago, didn't want to eat or drink, was very lethargic. It just so happened to be on the weekend as well, so off to the ER we went. The long and short of it was the Dr. said she couldn't be dehydrated because she was crying (wtf), well 300 cc's of fluids later she was feeling a little bit better.

The really kicker it gets passed from you to them, to your wife, and back around.

My daughter runs high fevers. We put her in the tub gave her some fever reducer and call the Doctor. He asked if she was responsive. We replied yes just tired. He said then not to worry as some kids can handle the temps better than others and if she was responding to us then give the bath and medication some time. Within 30 minutes she was doing better and the fever was dropping.

Does suck when someone else in the family is sick.

DG

Yeah some kids do handle fevers better than others. You just need to be really careful when temps start getting around 103-105. Little ones (usually under 6) start having febrile siezures. All and all they are fairly common, but still can ruin your day. Also, if your child is very warm putting them in a cold bath can bring on a siezure as well. Its best to passively cool them, take off there clothes and let air circulate around them.

Never really thought I'd be posting about peds and fevers on here, just goes to show....

same thing happened to my best friend in grade school, only difference was he had cancer...Burkits Lymphoma . Glad it wasn't nothing big.

I can totally relate. With each of our kids we have had at least one night like that. Most of the time it’s just us being overcautious but those all nighters in the ER are never any fun.

Hope he feels better soon!

Glad you got it taken for the time being. I hate taking the kids to the doctor, but since my ex usually refuses to for some odd reason, I always end up doing it on the weekends I have them.

Thankfully we haven't had to go to the emergency room though.

Poor little guy, that is the worst.

A few months ago my wife was visitng family with our 1yo boy and the same thing happened. He was doing great and then 3 hours later he was at 104. She spent the next three days fighting the fever before it finally broke. He then got a rash that indicated that it was roseola. Point being, watch him closely for the next few days as you might not be out of the woods. The main danger here is febrile seizure as Breedy points out.

I hope he gets this out of his system quickly!

He was doing really good earlier, playing and such. Now the fevers back. Hopefully the Motrin and Tylenol will be able to keep it down.

Febrile seizures will scare the hell out of me. I really hope that he does not have one.

Thanks guys, for wishing my kid well.

I hope the little fella gets to feeling better. It's always tough to watch your kids go through stuff like that. Kids are a lot less fragile than we tend to think. I'm sure he'll be back to normal soon.

I had one baby with the croup real bad, and one throwing up with a fever, worst two weeks of my life, my youngest was barking like a seal in an oxygen tent, while my other son was barfing up his guts down the hall, both under 2 yrs old, hang in there, it'll all be over soon!

Tugs at your heart at any age, our kids (21, 19, 17) still get us worried some times.

Glad things are turning around. Hope he gets better soon.

Paul

I've had those scary nights with both our kids. It is taxing on your nerves to watch the fever hit 104, then 105 and then go higher. We usually make the mistake of giving them meds before going to the ER and by the time the Dr. sees them, the fever is down to around 100. They treat you like a fool for bringing in a kid with a low-grade fever. Then you get back home and the fever spikes again.

I have found that passive cooling seems to work best with my kids, but every kid will react different. We rotate the Motrin and Tylenol every 3-4 hours and hope for the best. No feeling is worse than having those high fevers when they are babies though.

Hope the little man breaks the fever soon.

UPDATE

Well my kid is fine. Crawling around and getting into everything he can. The down side of it was that my wife caught it then I did. I have had this thing for over a week. Its not enough to knock you out of work but enough to drive you crazy.

UPDATE

Well my kid is fine. Crawling around and getting into everything he can. The down side of it was that my wife caught it then I did. I have had this thing for over a week. Its not enough to knock you out of work but enough to drive you crazy.

I'm glad to hear your son is fine, it's too bad you and your wife caught it. Hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Bill-
Glad to hear the little guy is doing better, but it sucks that you caught it now. Having my own kids I know what a vicious cycle those sicknesses are. It's hard to keep them from getting passed around.