• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What a great evening!

ggiese

Well, today was a nice day in the Chicago area - spring is definitely on the way. It was in the 50's with the sun shining. I heard the Cardinals and Robins singing in the back yard and decided it was time to break out a smoke or two and head into the back patio area.

Because it was a little on the chilly side, I setup the backyard fire place (momma got it on clearance last fall at Target for just such a special occasion). I had just picked up my split of RASS's (thanks to AlexGTP) so I was dying to try one of those, and also took out a LA100 (thanks to MrJingles) I've had sitting in my humi for a couple of weeks, just in case I wanted to have a second. I broke out a bottle of Meridian Savignon Blanc '02 and headed out the door.

The RASS was a very nice cigar - very well constructed. It had a very nice pre-light smell and draw. I've heard good things about these so I was very excited about trying it. When I lit it up, there was an initial strong spicyness, which gave way to a very pleasant, complex flavor (I just wish I knew how to better describe them - I still can't pick out the different flavors). The burn was very even, with the typical dark gray flaky ash I've come to expect. Tons of rich smoke, with a very nice creaminess to it. The aroma was fantastic. I had trouble keeping it lit during the second half, but it was not unpleasant when I relit it (sometime I get that terrible taste upon re-lighting a cigar, that was not the case here). I smoked this down to the very nub before bidding it a fond farewell in the fireplace.

I sat for a bit, enjoying the after smoke taste in my mouth - not wanting it to go away. I eyed the LA100. I was initially concerned that I would either take away from the RASS by smoking it, or taking away from the LA100 by smoking a RASS first. The night was still early, there was plenty of wine left, and the fire was so nice and toasty. I have a few more sips of my wine and decided to go for it!!

The LA100 is an incredibly constructed cigar. It's pre-light smell and draw were exceptional. The cigar was firm, but not hard. The moment I lit it up, I knew I was in for a treat. There was an incredible flavor to it from the first draw. I am terrible at describing what I taste, but it had a rather unique flavor I would best describe as "woodsy", kind of an oak taste. The taste was very clean and pleasant - not overpowering, definitely in the medium bodied range. Puff after puff of that cigar had me wanting for more - all the way down to the end. I found it to be a perfect compliment to the Savnignon Blanc I was enjoying - they just seemed to made for each other. I have no idea why I decided to pair the two up, but it was a match made in heaven!

As the night got darker, under cloudless skies, it grew chillier and chillier. I watched as the fire slowly faded - just as I finished my cigar. As the chill caught up to me, I retreated to the house glad that I had my first true day of spring in the hands of two fantastic cigars and a wonderful bottle of wine.

Certainly, both cigars were incredible and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Neither took away from the other. Dr. J and Alex - I sincerely thank you for a VERY wonderful evening!!!

Giese awesome reviews! I gotta say though, with the La Aurora 100 Anos, I last had, I found it to be creamy. Nice and smooth the whole way threw. I think even Eric said "That smells creamy!". What size was she? The churchills are the best! ;) :thumbs: :D

KayakinBoy said:
Giese awesome reviews! I gotta say though, with the La Aurora 100 Anos, I last had, I found it to be creamy. Nice and smooth the whole way threw. I think even Eric said "That smells creamy!". What size was she? The churchills are the best! ;) :thumbs: :D
[snapback]175226[/snapback]​

It was the pyramid shape - now I gotta find the Churchill!!!

Show off..

When I got home I sat out on the porch and smoked the RASS as well.
VEry excellent smoke. A bit wet.. I tihnk I will have to let them dry out a bit.. for some reason these cigars dont do well in 70rh i thihnk 63-65% will be a better environment for them..

:thumbs:

alexgtp said:
Show off..

When I got home I sat out on the porch and smoked the RASS as well.
VEry excellent smoke. A bit wet.. I tihnk I will have to let them dry out a bit.. for some reason these cigars dont do well in 70rh i thihnk 63-65% will be a better environment for them..

:thumbs:
[snapback]175302[/snapback]​

I find that 64-66% humidity is best for all ISOMs. Just my opinion and what I keep mine at.

ggiese said:
KayakinBoy said:
Giese awesome reviews!  I gotta say though, with the La Aurora 100 Anos, I last had, I found it to be creamy.  Nice and smooth the whole way threw.  I think even Eric said "That smells creamy!".  What size was she?  The churchills are the best!  ;)  :thumbs:  :D

[snapback]175301[/snapback]​

Specifically, it was the La Aurora 100 Anos Belicoso. The one CA had in it's top cigars of 2004 list (I think #2-5, can't remember). Glad you enjoyed it George, I can't wait to fire mine up. :thumbs:

mrjinglesusa said:
ggiese said:
KayakinBoy said:

[snapback]175301[/snapback]​

Specifically, it was the La Aurora 100 Anos Belicoso. The one CA had in it's top cigars of 2004 list (I think #2-5, can't remember). Glad you enjoyed it George, I can't wait to fire mine up. :thumbs:
[snapback]175306[/snapback]​

La Aurora 100 Anos Belicoso was #2. And it's a fine smoke! :thumbs: