• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What can you tell me about Hilton Head SC?

Charlie_NC

My girlfriend racks up tons of Marriott points through her travel with work. So she decided to book us a week at a top of the line Marriott (whatever its called) on Hilton Head. From what I've seen online and been told by friends it really doesn't seem like anything I want to do at all. I don't know how to make her see that either. I would much rather go to the Outer Banks are of NC. Its cheaper, and there isn't much there but sand and the ocean.

The stuff online just looks to uppity, high class, whatever you want to call it for my tastes. I haven't looked at prices but the Restraunts just look and seem way to expensive also. But this is all coming from online looking and people that didn't lik it when they went apparently.

What can anybody here tell me about it?

I'm from Savannah GA and I've been to Hilton Head pretty often. It's a very nice and well maintained beach. It's also pretty large so there's always places to sit on the shore. As far as beaches go, it's one of my favorites.

With that said, the city is definitely pretty high class. In fact, it pretty notorious for being a destination for people who want to "experience the south," but still want all the pampering of the Hills so to speak. I wouldn't say it's expensive to go there, but it's definitely not a hip party town. The whole city is pretty much like a gated community. There are no street lights, the shop signs aren't lit, all signs are made out of wood, most businesses are surrounded by trees, buildings can only be a couple of stories tall etc.. etc... There are a lot of ordinances in place to keep the city clean and orderly. It's mostly a retirement type of destination. If you are looking for parties and clubs and stuff, you won't find it at Hilton Head. To put things in perspective, there are probably 3-4 golf courses, but only 1 movie theater (it sucks btw) and what amounts to the smallest mall I've ever been to. However, if you want a quiet, relaxing place to stay with all the convenience of a small city, then it's a pretty decent destination.

To sum it up in 1 sentence: If you play golf and drive a BMW, you'd fit right in.

Personally, I rather like the area. I prefer quiet vacations where myself and the misses can just spend time alone, but there are probably other places I'd choose to visit first. Hope that helps.

Dlow pretty much hit the nail on the head, it's not a place that I like to vacation at, though I've visited a couple of times and it's nice enough. There's a bunch of golf courses, a lighthouse, an old plantation, a couple of other touristy locations, etc. etc. Everything is a little overpriced considering the location.

I can tell you many things... cause I live there :) There's a GREAT smoke store too. Also, there's 2 theatres on island, both sorta only ok, but a great one about 20 minutes off island. There's several young party areas, don't know how old you are, but if you want that the "triangle" gets pretty packed starting in late spring to summer, as well as the Wild Wing Cafe. Also, I happen to be a smoker and great company with a nice little boat that I troll around our lagoon in and smoke on... so if you get bored and I'm here (doing some traveling so thats not a guarantee) I'd be more than happy to get together.
Chris

Cool! I'll want to check out the cigar shop! We're both 28, not big on clubbing really. Well she is more than me. I can do that crap here, I wanted to go to the beach to lay around and do nothing. She liked that idea till this Hilton Head thing got in her head lol.

Not my choice of a beach vacation but I'm sure I'll have fun, as long as shes happy thats all that matters, I'll be fine with that!

Wild Wing! :thumbs: It's all about the FOOD!

you're right down the street from me verhoevc!

I despise driving onto HH during the week, and it's a ZOO right now with the Heritage golf tournament on! Very well maintained and beautiful city though. I've been into Island Cigars a few times.

The wife and I spent a week there last year and ate out 2 meals a day to the tune of about $100-120 a day just for food and not counting snacks, beer, soda etc.. You can spend more too without a problem.

ISLAND CIGAR!?!?! ISLAND CIGAR!??!?! Any true local knows that Smoke Stack is the oldest and most esteemed island cigar shop! lol
Either way, Charlie, I'm 23 next month, and I seem to have a good time here... then again I'm also an old man and enjoy cigars and woodworking most of the day hahahah. But yeah, if ya get bored, lemmie know with a PM.
Chris