• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do box codes mean?

Ugaman72

Hello all, I have a question about box codes. I recently came into possession of two boxes of nice cuban smokes. The first was H. Upman Mag 46's with a box code of ENE 08. The second was El rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme's with a box code of OCT 07. So, here's the question...are box codes representative of the time they were packaged, or rolled? For future reference, are older box codes more preferable to newer one? If given the choice, would a 07 be better than say an 08? Or are box codes for cigars like vintages for wine where a specific year is better? If a specific year is better, are there certain years that I should look for? Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Search is your friend! :laugh:

99-01 can be trouble.

Box codes are the packaging(near the same rolling time).

Older 'may' mean better - but not always...try a bunch out! :D

Older means it's aged and not as 'new' (new can me sharp to the taste).

I'm sure others will have some good info...but I'm sure this has been discussed.

I searched and found some specific info on specific brands, but never found the info of whether the box code was a "rolled" time or "packaged" one. It just surprised me that I got a box that was a year old. I assumed that these things sold quickly. Every other box I've received had a date code within 3 months of the time I received them.

Hello all, I have a question about box codes. I recently came into possession of two boxes of nice cuban smokes. The first was H. Upman Mag 46's with a box code of ENE 08. The second was El rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme's with a box code of OCT 07. So, here's the question...are box codes representative of the time they were packaged, or rolled?

Like Gary said, it is the date they were packed. Most of the time it is within a month or so of the rolling, but there are times when it can be several months before they are packed. There has also been a couple of times I am aware of when a cigar was not packed for several years after it was rolled, but it is very rare ('04 RA 8-9-8 for instance).

For future reference, are older box codes more preferable to newer one? If given the choice, would a 07 be better than say an 08?

It all depends on what your taste are. Some only like fresh cigars, others won't smoke anything without a couple of years on it. It is also helpful to know the cigar you are buying and what are its aging characteristics.

Or are box codes for cigars like vintages for wine where a specific year is better? If a specific year is better, are there certain years that I should look for? Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Certain years are considered really good (like '06 and '03), but like everything else, ymmv. Instead of looking for certain vintages which can be frustrating, I would suggest that you try and focus on trying new cigars and figuring out what you like and think will age well and then go from there. Part of the fun is finding out what you like by trial and error.

It is also helpful to know the cigar you are buying and what are its aging characteristics.

Good post Mike.

Do you have a link with this kind of information?

Brian

Aging characteristics is something I hadn't even considered as a factor. I'd be grateful if you had any further info on this as well. Like I said, I can find info on Cohibas...but, aren't they kind of like a different beast than other ISOMs because of the extra fermentation they go through? I hate throwing another question on top of the others, but, this is great info for a newbie or a FOG.

It is also helpful to know the cigar you are buying and what are its aging characteristics.

Good post Mike.

Do you have a link with this kind of information?

Brian

No, no link. I should have been more clear in response that learning about a cigar's aging characteristics or potential has as much to do with personal experience as does second-hand knowledge. There are many different reviews on this board and on others that have great discussions on specific cigars and how they age. The best advice I can give is to do searches on here, and even google, and you should hopefully find some good information as to what to expect about a specific cigar.

You might also look into getting the "bible" as it is referred to among many smokers. This is the Min Ron Nee book (Encyclopedia of Post-Revolutionary Havana Cigars) and is the most comprehensive set of specific cigar tasting notes and opinions in print. Only downside is it is pricey and concerned mainly with long-term aging (10+ years).

I guess my advice would be to just read up as much as possible and once you get a box, try smoking one every 6 months or so to see how it develops.