• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you guys use to Download Music.

nicktressler

" I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a goo
Just wondering what people are using recently to get music online. I have used Windows media player's link to some sites in the past.

I use iTunes. It doesn't bother me because I have "ways" of defeating the copyright issue........not that I do :whistling:

EVERYTHING THAT I DOWNLOAD IS 100% LEGIT !!!!!!

are the helicopters gone ??

For you guys that like limewire, but don't like all of the spyware bundled in with it...try frostwire. Basically the exact program with all the crap taken out.

I also use torrents a lot. Torrents are the new napster. :D

I don't steal music. I generally buy CDs and rip 'em, or more rarely, buy a song from iTunes.

It's crazy how times have changed since before the "napster".

I think to this day there are MP3 channels polluting IRC. MP3 audio was once very new and had no publicity, and if you couldn't navigate irc or the people it was an alien jukebox from hell. Napster came along but wasn't the only beast of it's nature, just the one that got beheaded publicly. P2P networks sprouted up like weeds, decentralizing connections and so on. Now the attention craze is on the .torrents which ware making file sharing so user friendly it's becomae a complete legal catastrophy.

Sadly, the MP3 is mistaken as an illegal file format, but it's not.

I collect music that has a cult following and was released on limited records of the 50 - 200 range. After a decade of amazing talents, a record box tossed into a bay off a coast in austrailia, and some bad pressings, they have moved on. I've also got a few cassette tapes that were also limited and would be impossible to have heard otherwse as only one was made in some cases.

Whats fun is looking up the homepage of somebody you like and finding a 45 minute download of new material.

As for programs, i'd say Soulseek. It has been around, kept its cool and not done what Kazaa (and others) have done. Google will give you fake sites if you look it up so be wary, the Internet is full of crap. :thumbs:

I used to use Emule, but now I'm 100% on a Light Side and I'm very happy with it. Great collection of CD's is the same cool for me as a great collection of cigars! :)

I will have to admit I really miss napster...

I really enjoyed sharing my music collection and browsing other users collections.
It was fun to find music I liked then seeing what other music someone had on their hard drive that I had never heard of.
There is no place on the radio to hear small regional groups and bar bands that put out one or two albums.
I like to hear bands I have never heard of before. I may not always like the music, but I enjoy the experience.
That is how I first heard groups like Seven Nations, Great Big Sea and Fine Crowd. You will never hear this music on the radio.

The record companies never lost any money on me by downloading mp3’s.
If I like the music, I will buy the CD. The quality is generally better and I enjoy owning the "hard copy" of the music.

*** sorry for the rant ***

I don't steal music.
Yeah, I'm sure it's odd for many to hear or to put it in those terms but that's exactly what it is (when downloading from sites such as limewire). I love Rhapsody because for a nominal fee per month, I can listen to anything I want in its entirety (not just 30 second blurbs). If I want to buy a track, it's only 89 cents or the album is just 9-10 bucks. It works well for me since I don't care about having the original cd.

I discovered that just about any CD you would ever want can be bought used on Amazon on the cheap. Even relatively new releases can be found at a discount and many older CD's can be purchased for a couple of bucks....or less. I use EAC / LAME to rip the tunes to an MP3. What I like about that is I have complete control of the process and quality (and size) of the MP3.... :cool:

One of the best articles I've ever read about Napster and the MP3 phenomena was written by John Dvorak for PC magazine. It makes so much sense it's no wonder the record companies didn't follow through.... :angry:

It's titled "Doing Napster Math" and I think its a very interesting read.

Cheers - B.B.S.