• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you like with your Cohiba?

Black Plague

For some reason, I get really anal retentive about what to pair Cohibas with. Maybe it's the price tag thing. Usually, I play it safe and just drink coffee (usually something espresso-based or cafe con leche). Had mixed results before with Spanish brandy and cognac. Tried Chartreuse once with a Lancero, a buddy swore it was the perfect pairing...and though they did match flavors pretty well, Chartreuse is waaaay too strong, in alcohol (55% ABV) and taste, and just tended to numb my mouth and overpowering any of the cigar's flavors.

I tried a pairing last night that turned out very well! I had a 2001 Cohiba Lancero with a nice glass of Balvenie 1993 PortWood and it was excellent! For the first third or so, the whisky overwhelmed it a bit, so would just take a sip of it, then a sip of ice water, and then smoke. But once the Lancero reached around 2/3 to 1/2 and the body intensified, it was absolutely perfect! The grassy vanilla of the Lancero and the oaky, fruity port influence blended very well and seemed to make each other taste even better.

I've heard others opine that sherry-influenced scotches like Aberlour and Macallan go well with Cohibas, and my experience with port-influenced scotch turned out well. I'll have to try it next with my pre-name-change bottle of Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish (before it became La Quinta Ruban and doubled in price :rolleyes: ), if I can get the heart to crack the seal.

So what beverages do you guys like with Cohibas? More specifically, do you pair different things with the different lines (Linea Clasica, Linea 1492, and the new Maduro) or sizes?

Maria Elena, if she's not available Carmen Rosario!

Doc, you forgot shaken and not stirred!

I have found it depends on the day. My likes always change all the time. I found Scotch pair well, as with Courvoisier, Port Wine, and Dolce Wine.

Good luck on your venture!

-ree

Nowadays I always pair my Cohibas with Ron Zacapa Centenario, but that is just my preference. In the past I have been known to match it with some Macallan as well which is also a good pairing IMHO. However, as of late...my tastes have leaned more towards dark rum.

Mac Fine Oak 30!

50.jpg