• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is special about a Varnished cigar?

rnccen

I don't have a title
Can someone please explain what a varnished cigar is and what is special about it?

Rnccen

The box is varnished. Imagine how that will affect storage.

It's sold in a varnished box as opposed to a SLB (slide lid box) or a semi-plain box.

There is a school of thought that cigars age better in Varnished boxes instead of semi plain boxes.

Oh...I was under the impression they actually varinshed the cigar somehow, which got me thinking about why varnish a cigar & last I knew varnish was toxic.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Rnccen

Oh, just another little note, if you were thinking varnished in relation to Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished or Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Varnished, the "8-9-8" refers to how they are stacked in the varnished box, first row of eight cigars, second row is nine cigars and the final row is eight cigars. Most semi plain boxes have a row of twelve and a filler block or cardboard or paper and a top row of thirteen ;)

coventrycat86 said:
Oh, just another little note, if you were thinking varnished in relation to Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished or Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Varnished, the "8-9-8" refers to how they are stacked in the varnished box, first row of eight cigars, second row is nine cigars and the final row is eight cigars. Most semi plain boxes have a row of twelve and a filler block or cardboard or paper and a top row of thirteen ;)
LOL... I never knew that. I always wondered why the pick the numbers that they do. I figured it was just arbitrary. Never actually seen a varnished box before.

Never actually seen a varnished box before.

As we all know, it is illegal to purchase Cuban cigars :p so I would think it would be "vewy" difficult to ever actually see a box of Party 8-9-8 varnished in the USA :lookup:

There are some domestics that come in "varnished" boxes like PAM's and Ashtons. They don't use the term "varnished" in the name of the cigar but the boxes are finished or "varnished"

The reason varnished boxes are sought after is because they dont exchange air very well. So in theory, they would keep the natural bouqet of the cigars intact for a very long time if you didn't open the box to continually inspect them or to smell the wonderful bouqet. IMHO it is a moot point if you aren't going to age the cigars past 3-5 years.

Emo

coventrycat86 said:
Never actually seen a varnished box before.

As we all know, it is illegal to purchase Cuban cigars :p so I would think it would be "vewy" difficult to ever actually see a box of Party 8-9-8 varnished in the USA :lookup:

There are some domestics that come in "varnished" boxes like PAM's and Ashtons. They don't use the term "varnished" in the name of the cigar but the boxes are finished or "varnished"
Yep. Exactly. Get yourself a box of VSG's and you'll get a varnished box. Same with the Corojo Don Thomas'.

Of course, SLR and Leon Jimines offer boxes that are painted as well. Another take on the whole "sealing" of the plain wood issue.

I have an Olivia O box that I use for a traveldor, the varnished boxes are great for things like that, i have a Diamond Crown box for a desk humidor at my office. Just don't put anything in there you don't want stolen by untrustworthy coworkers. ;)

The Montague Robusto's I just received came in a nice humidor quality box with rows of 8-9-8

Joe