• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the proper way to light a cigar?

StogieSteve

I'm sure someone has taken the time to write this before so if you could post a link that would be great. I'm using a tripleflame torch lighter, but I do use matches sometimes. I did a search but I got no results. Maybe i didn't search for the right thing. I dunno.

Hi Steve.
I hope this will answer all of your questions.
Let me/us know if it doesn't!

http://www.cigarpass.com/101.html

Edit--just realized that the likns on that page are not links, and that it contains no information at all.
Be right back with some actual info for you, I hope.

StogieSteve said:
I'm sure someone has taken the time to write this before so if you could post a link that would be great. I'm using a tripleflame torch lighter, but I do use matches sometimes. I did a search but I got no results. Maybe i didn't search for the right thing. I dunno.
[snapback]299310[/snapback]​

Cigar faq: Cigar FAQ

No there was a thread on this site somewhere that talked about the proper way to light a cigar. See I just got a box of Cohiba Esplendidos and I don't think I lit it properly because it didn't burn evenly. I know that there is a thread somewhere. It hasn't had any time in the humi so that could be why the draw was stiff and it didn't burn evenly. I know cigars are legit, but the only thing that irks me is the bands are kind of loose.

The proper way to light a cigar is as follows.

Clip the head of the cigar, start your lighter or matches. Put the flame of the cigar about half an inch from your cigar and draw the flame into the cigar while rotating the cigar around and around until you get a nice even light.

Do not toast the cigar first and try not to put the flame directly onto the cigar.

The Master,

Thank you for your sound advice. I do indeed appreciate it. You live up to your name. I mean that with the deepest respect.

The Master said:
Do not toast the cigar first and try not to put the flame directly onto the cigar.
[snapback]299352[/snapback]​

Why not toast the foot first? This is actually the first time I have seen not too. Usually all the how-to guides and FAQ's etc say to toast. I'm curious why you dissagree with this process?

I find that toasting it makes the wrapper easier to light evenly with the filler....not toasting it causes the filler to light moreso than the wrapper.

:0

Let those babies relax in the humidor for atleast 2 weeks before trying to smoke 'em.

In my opinion by toasting the foot, you get a carbon build up that affects the flavor of the cigar. I have always not toasted, if you feel you get a better light by toasting then go for it. It isn't that big a deal. I know a lot of guys who toast also.

The Master said:

Clip the head of the cigar, start your lighter or matches. Put the flame of the cigar about half an inch from your cigar and draw the flame into the cigar while rotating the cigar around and around until you get a nice even light.

This is what I do. If done like this, and if the cigar is of the proper RH, you'll find that toasting is of questionable benefit. I get nice, even starts all the time doing this.

FWIW - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
The Master said:

This is what I do. If done like this, and if the cigar is of the proper RH, you'll find that toasting is of questionable benefit. I get nice, even starts all the time doing this.

FWIW - B.B.S.
[snapback]299450[/snapback]​

This is interesting. It's also the first time I've heard of advice NOT to toast the foot. I'm going to try it for a while. Thanks guys. Always willing to try something new.

The best way to light a cigar is the way that "YOU" learn to...smoke cigars and it will come. Patience...

-Fetter

The Master said:
In my opinion by toasting the foot, you get a carbon build up that affects the flavor of the cigar. I have always not toasted, if you feel you get a better light by toasting then go for it. It isn't that big a deal. I know a lot of guys who toast also.
[snapback]299447[/snapback]​

Fair enough. I will try this and see! I've toasted since thats what I was told to do, I'll give it a shot. :)

Fuscat said:
The Master said:

Why not toast the foot first? This is actually the first time I have seen not too. Usually all the how-to guides and FAQ's etc say to toast. I'm curious why you dissagree with this process?
[snapback]299438[/snapback]​

Searching is fine but sometimes when you ask the same question again you get better answers!

Harris addressed this on another board and I agree... There is nothing wrong with asking a similar question over and over, new answers seem to come up as new members join and as time passes.

I've always toasted the foot of the cigar but am ALWAYS willing to try something different and new. I'll give the "no toast" light up a try tomorrow and we'll see how things go from there.

Thanks Master for the great thoughts.....
Darren

The Master said:

I tried this method yesterday with a LGC serie R #4 and couldn't for the life of me evenly draw the flame from my torch lighter into the cigar. I went ahead and lit it my usual way and noticed a bitterness right off the bat. I'm thinking the cigar didn't like my mixing of methods. :laugh:

Is there a better lighter to use for this method? Maybe I just couldn't draw enough on the cigar (it was somewhat tight). Does this work better for smaller ring gauges than larger vitolas?

I might be going out on a limb with this observation, but I found that the torch lighters are not an easy lot to work with (again, for me personally) when trying to draw the flame out to the cigar. I've started with a few torches, but then found the cigars burned hot (or perhaps my newbie-ish ways of puffing too frequently added to this dilemma), especially upon lighting the cigar.

I've since then gone to the "soft flame" that is offered naturally by matches, and the old Vektor canister lighters (which, as of late, are now all torch lighters too, sadly :( .

I've since been able to find Colibri soft flame lighters and swear by them (when they go out, I turn to swearing AT them!). I find that the soft flame is more easily "coaxed" towards the foot of the cigar and lights much nicer than trying to suck the "jet afterburner" variety of torch lighters. By the way, aren't the multiple flames usually more advantageous for larger girth/ringed cigars?

Just one man's opinion....
Darren

Good stuff, Master. And...thanks Steve for asking the question.

I feel compelled to go experiment now. :laugh:

The Master said:
[snapback]299447[/snapback]​
This is what I was going to say as well, and in my experience haven't noticed a better burn from toasting. It seems that cigars around 70% RH have more tendency to canoe on me than ones stored around 60-65% RH.

LilBastage said:
I tried this method yesterday with a LGC serie R #4 and couldn't for the life of me evenly draw the flame from my torch lighter into the cigar. I went ahead and lit it my usual way and noticed a bitterness right off the bat. I'm thinking the cigar didn't like my mixing of methods. :laugh:
[snapback]299981[/snapback]​

So with the torch lighters I typically hold the tip of the torch flame a few mm away from the foot, draw on the cigar to bring the heat into the cigar, puff on the cigar causing little plumes of fire at the foot while rotating the cigar. The plumes of fire seem to help make sure the wrapper lights evenly with the rest of the cigar, plus I just think it looks cool. :cool:

In all reality, whatever floats your boat. Some people like to light them with cedar sticks, but that just goes against my intuition. Cedar is one of the absolute last types of wood someone would want to use in a BBQ Smoker because of the sap toxins and bitterness that is transfered to the meat. So it would seem to follow that would probably happen when lighting a cigar as well, so I just steer clear of them.

Cheers,
- C