• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the word on "cask strength"?

Jan Primus

I'm just getting into scotch, understand that cask strength has not been cut.

Say I'm choosing between two bottles from the same brand...one is cask but the other is older, but the're similar in price..any advantage to cask? Also, I do add ice to my scotch.

In general cask strength is prefered in the Scotch world when comparing against the same age in a brand. One can't say that X at 15 yo cask strength is better then Y at 25 years. Perhaps if you give a bit more info I can give my opinion on those particular bottles if you want, of course.

Thanks...Lagavulin 16 yr vs the 12 yr cask...the cask is about $30cdn more over the 16yr ($121cdn vs $92cdn).

The price difference is really because the cask is more limited production. If you have had Lagavulin before then by all means get the cask. If you haven't then the 16 yo is rated as one of the best drams normally available by a number of people.

Edit:
Well, I should have paid more attention. Talisker in my glass and on my mind.

Alot of people like ice in scotch, I don't, but my best friend does.

I recommend you make the ice out of spring water, tap water (depending on the area) can add a nasty chemical taste to your whiskey.

When I sip my whiskey, I add 1 small ice chip. Not the big ones that you make at home. The kind that are about a teaspoon each. I like my whiskey slightly cool to offset the alcohol, and I feel that the little bit f watter seems to open up the flavor and nose a little.

-E

I was not aware about the preference of comparing among cask strength. I do know, however, that I love all the ages of Aberlour I've had, and the cask strengh (A'bundah) is, IMO, fantastic. It's even better when opened up with a touch of water.

On a different note a liquor store not far from here has a bottle of 30yo Aberlour...I did a web search and found little info. Anyone here had it or even seen it?

Josh

They don't carry that in PA any longer. It was only $210 which is a pretty good price. Is the one you saw by the original bottler or one of the independent bottlers? The OB is really good and I'd buy another if I could find it.