• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your percieved future of tobbacco?

Macion Grey

the Libertine
Gosh darn it! This bottle and a half of Paul Mas Cabernet Sauvignon has gotten me thinking: how long have we got left?

That is to say: How long have us (mostly) innocent cigar consumers have left of legal, easily available tobacco? I am 23... and I speculate that by the time I am 50 years young; tobacco will be a niche drug, obtained in the same manner as illegal substances like marijuana (wow: I typed that drunk without a spelling error) and other various other baddies. Thus; being a niche drug, there is no guarantee of quality or even enjoyment. Cigars as we know them will be dead. Dead like a cheeseburger at a lonely man's Christmas.

So, thoughts?

I think the tax income from tobacco is too much for it to ever go away at the level you speak of.

Yes, many will try to push taxation levels to the limit to make it an "unattractive" passtime, but I believe it will always be there.

Don't want to think about this!
"live today,tomorrow is an other day"

Rene

What are you doing drunk at this time of the morning? And, don't give me any of that international date line crap. :sign:

In the United States, the trend has been strongly toward protecting people from themselves. For a country that was built in part on growing tobacco, it's ironic that there is a movement to restrict it and make a smoker almost a second class citizen. I doubt tobacco use will ever be legislated out of existance. That was tried unsuccessfully with alcohol during our Prohibition. I do believe that the taxation and restrictions will continue increasing, making our cigars a more and more expensive and exclusive hobby.

Speaking as a half-centurion, thank you for the '50 years young' reference. :thumbs:

I doubt marijuana will be illegal in 27 years. The demon weed is on a steamroll of legal acceptance.

I do think smoking in its various forms will continue to be be made more restrictive where the smoke is likely to reach others. To a point, I appreciate and respect this evolution. I don't recall when in my youth smoking was banned from restaurants in my area, but I do recall how thrilled I was that law passed. I hate to see people smoking near children (something that never bothered me long ago but does now). I can think of plenty of other examples. Heck, I don't even think bars should be sacred smoking grounds. Owner choice, I accept, but that often means cigarettes yes and cigars no - but that's another topic altogether and still falls under owner choice anyway.

But, no, I don't think tobacco will become prima faciae illegal. Just more restricted use. Kinda like alcohol is becoming by default due to ever more stringent DUI laws - which are pretty easy to agree with.

I foresee a resurgence in private homes for smoking parlors. Where one can enjoy smoke and drink to their heart's content without fear of running afoul of the law. A separate room more cozy than existing family rooms. Something more along the lines of a pub or a library with fireplace. Many guys already have or are attempting such a setup.

I doubt marijuana will be illegal in 27 years. The demon weed is on a steamroll of legal acceptance.

I do think smoking in its various forms will continue to be be made more restrictive where the smoke is likely to reach others. To a point, I appreciate and respect this evolution. I don't recall when in my youth smoking was banned from restaurants in my area, but I do recall how thrilled I was that law passed. I hate to see people smoking near children (something that never bothered me long ago but does now). I can think of plenty of other examples. Heck, I don't even think bars should be sacred smoking grounds. Owner choice, I accept, but that often means cigarettes yes and cigars no - but that's another topic altogether and still falls under owner choice anyway.

But, no, I don't think tobacco will become prima faciae illegal. Just more restricted use. Kinda like alcohol is becoming by default due to ever more stringent DUI laws - which are pretty easy to agree with.

I foresee a resurgence in private homes for smoking parlors. Where one can enjoy smoke and drink to their heart's content without fear of running afoul of the law. A separate room more cozy than existing family rooms. Something more along the lines of a pub or a library with fireplace. Many guys already have or are attempting such a setup.
This is why i have supplies that will here after i'm gone! :D

If the public insurance option is passed. I would say we have 10 years.

I think the tax income from tobacco is too much for it to ever go away at the level you speak of.

Yes, many will try to push taxation levels to the limit to make it an "unattractive" passtime, but I believe it will always be there.

Exactly Newfie..

Big tax dollars equals tobacco never goes away.

However, I think this simple pleasure in life may become taxed so much it will be cost prohibitive for some people to enjoy it anymore with any regularity..

If the same smokes I pay $5 a stick for now, start to go for $10 or $15+ a stick...... Dunno..

Well, in my fifty years young life, I've seen the smoking section go from "huh?" to the big section to the little section to the patio out back . . . I suspect public smoking, even in outdoor venues, will become increasingly restricted, taxes will continue to increase, and private clubs and one's own home will inevitably become the only places to enjoy a cigar.

~Boar

Buttload of taxes and private clubs is where it'll be at, imo. If you own your own house and don't share any walls with other people or have children or pets, you'll be able to smoke there, too.

I wish "do gooders" and legislation would stop lumping all tobacco into the same category, too. Cigarettes are addictive and bad for you with the amount of extra chemicals that go into them. Cigars aren't good for you, either, but they're in a completely different category (preaching to the choir, I know). I wish lawmakers or whomever could see the difference.

-John

Those differences are only appreciated by us cigar and/or pipe smokers. Smoke is smoke to most non-smokers.

SNIP<<<<private clubs>>>>SNIP

SNIP<<<<private clubs>>>>SNIP

Unfortunately, those aren't even legal in the most of Canada. I've discussed this at length with a couple of lawyers and their partners, and "Nuttin' you can do, not legal, no way around it".

Zep, you guys there are lucky in ways of supply of cigars. Even with your recent tax hikes, you should see what some people pay here. I've seen AF Short Storys for $24, Padron 6000 for $38 and Cohiba Siglo VI for $69 ($80 for the Tubo). I don't know how people do it, those who don't have "access" I mean.

What are you doing drunk at this time of the morning? And, don't give me any of that international date line crap. :sign:

I was trying to get to sleep. It took one and a half bottles of wine and some Amitriptyline (doesn't work by itself) to get the job done.

Some good responses guys. Do you think smoking anywhere outside (even in your own backyard) will soon be outlawed?

I'm positive non-smokers will try to make a push for that. However, anyone that uses a BBQ grill would fall under that ruling and then the group of people against that law would be much, much larger.

I feel for those that rent or own apartments because they can be forced to adhere to any changing of the bylaws of their apartment rules.

I'm fortunate I own my own home.

I don't see tobacco going away, but you can bet the taxes will keep skyrocketing and bans will keep getting worse. In the end, it will be fewer smokers, paying much higher taxes, but the tax load will be the same.

I am in the consensus with most of the opinions here. Tobacco as an industry or product will never go away. The lobbyists would never let that happen it the U.S. What we will definitely see over time though is fewer smokers/users of all tobacco prodcuts. The reason? Simple taxes. Eventually tobacco will be taxed so high that many won't be able to partake. That is the sad state of things. Smoking restrictions IMHO will continue to get more servere. To the point I imagine that you will only be able to smoke inside your own home. Ridiculous. There is no love out there from the masses for any type of smoker. CRA and other advocates will fight, but ultimately it will be a losing battle. Not to say we shouldn't fight and draw out the process as long as possible...but the odds are highly stacked against us.