• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What percent are fakes?

What percent of cigars presented as Cuban are fake?

• Over 90%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-90%

• 70-80%

• 60-70%

• 50-60%

• 40-50%

• 20-40%

• under 20%

• Total voters

waliguy

This poll is presented to the FOGs, or people who have had over a year of smoking Cuban tobacco. Those who are knowledgable of labels, boxes, bands, construction, but more importantly, can generally taste the difference between a fake and real ISOM.

In GENERAL circles (this would be like your neighbor who smokes only a couple cigars a year -- probably bought on vacation in Cancun)...what percent of cuban cigars in the States are fake?

Comments appreciated as well. I have my opinions, but will hold off and wait to hear from the board.

I can't recall the last time someone in my "general circle" had a real Cuban. They are almost always fake. I said over 90%

Of smokers I run into that aren't members of a cigar board, probably 99.95 %.
Counting board members, (not just CP), probably 75%.

Often told story finally happened to me this week. A coworker just came back from Fl. ran into me Tues and was so excited to see me. Seems he had ran into a cuban refugee in a coffee shop that offered him a "real cuban". As he didn't smoke he started to decline then thought of me and bought 5 cigars from him. I now am the proud owner of 5 of Cohiba Explendidos. No, I didn't have the heart to tell him they are fakes, just thanked him for thinking of me.

Mike

Whaddaya mean fakes.
Everyone I have bought from has guaranteed their authenticity!
Having said that, I guess upwards of 80%.
Now if I can figure out which 20% of mine are real!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I didn't vote because I really have no idea. But when Devin, Mike and Jeff say over 90% then I'll go with that.

I think your question needs to be clarified a bit. I automatically figure anything handed to me as a real Havana that did not come from a source that I have thought to be reputable is most likely a fake.

I had an experience where I watched a guy open a box of Cohibas, break the cellophane, break the "Habanos" seal and offered to sell me some. I bought two and sent one to an "expert" (y'all can probably figure who here I'm talking about :D ) who would definately KNOW if they were fakes. I'm sorry to say they were. At least I didn't violate any "trading with the enemy" acts by purchasing these cigars since Mexico is not our enemy :D

Maybe I'm a fool but I have a great deal of confidence in the sources that I have knowledge about and I'm confident the cigars they sell are not fakes.

I said under 20%, but I think I misunderstood the question. I was indicating my own experience in purchasing them. Of every ISOM presented to me by someone who brought a cigar back from Mexico or the Caribbean, or their cousin in the military picked some up for them, 100% have been fake.

I did recently receive a real ISOM from a friend who vacationed in Spain, though.

OK...a point of clarification on the POLL.

First, I know that most of the people on CP and the other boards deal with each other, or reputable sources, or a combination of both. That being said, the people on the boards represent a minority, compared to the vast number of cigar smokers out there.

There are a lot of newbies, and there are a lot of people who never have visited a cigar board, been to a herf, or gained knowledge through an internet site. These people have humidors, and are gifted or acquire ISOMs to some extent...maybe on vacation, maybe through friends, maybe online. You get the idea.

This is the general cigar smoker population. The CPers represent a very small part of that. And while the CPers might have a very, very high percent of authenitics, there are a tremendous amount of fakes on the market. Go into any given shop in Mexico, Costa Rica, or Jamacia. Some fakes are obvious, others are not, and some are real.

Great post! I voted 80-90% but could very easily be talked into the 90%+ ranks. You can chalk up 99% of cigars bought off the street of Miami to most likely be fake. Another area of fakes to explore are cigars that are authentic cuban tobacco but are not authentic of the brand on the label. A good bit of cigars sold in Cuba on the street are made with real cuban tobacco....just not from the factory.

About a year or so ago a good friend pulled from his locker a box of Cohiba's that he told us he picked up from the island a year earlier on his education trip. The cigar was impeckable. The bands were legit, the box was very good also but later was pointed to a few clues that we missed. The tobacco was cuban no doubt but, it did not taste like any Cohiba I had tasted before. Two of us questioned the taste profile and our friend finally spilled the beans. He had been approached on the street and offered the box for $100. He smoked one and knew they were not real Cohibas but was such a good smoke that he bought the box....knowing that they were farm rolled. Had my friend not had that smirk on his face while we were tasting these cigars I venture to say that I would have excepted it as legit. Pretty scary. It was a very good cigar.

waliguy said:
In GENERAL circles (this would be like your neighbor who smokes only a couple cigars a year -- probably bought on vacation in Cancun)...what percent of cuban cigars in the States are fake?
When it comes to cigars bought on vacation by casual smokers, as you mention, I'd say over 90%. I've seen my friends hand me a "Cuban" they picked up from their cruise that was about the worst fake I've ever seen. The ink on the band stained my fingers before I even smoked it.

And yes, I smoked it. It wasn't horrible, but it certainly wasn't Cuban. I humored him for a while, not sure if I should pee in his cornflakes and let him know that he'd bought a box of fakes, and was ripped off... in the end, I broke the news to him.

I was in a tobacco store on Saturday and this issue came up. I brought up the 80% figure and one of the employees actually said 95%. Another guy said "probably even higher than that."

I said 80-90% like Allofus but after reading this thread I change it to 95%+

waliguy said:
This poll is presented to the FOGs, or people who have had over a year of smoking Cuban tobacco. Those who are knowledgable of labels, boxes, bands, construction, but more importantly, can generally taste the difference between a fake and real ISOM.
It appears this poll as run off course. :lookup: LOL

I would like to see the same poll but for reputable vendors. In other words, if you buy from reputable sources, learned about here or other boards. Do you guys think fakes are mixed in with those orders???

PinarPhan said:
I would like to see the same poll but for reputable vendors. In other words, if you buy from reputable sources, learned about here or other boards. Do you guys think fakes are mixed in with those orders???
Then make the poll lazy :p

PinarPhan said:
Laughing @ Emo... :thumbs:

*Short hijack*

I'm laughing at the question posed... "Can you have fakes from a reputable source?" :lookup: but I think I get the drift of your question.

The answer depends on who is telling you its a reputable source. :)

*hijack over*

I thought the poll might be repetitive?

I don't suppose it would be kosher to have a poll that listed 5 or 6 suppliers would it?

PinarPhan said:
I thought the poll might be repetitive?

I don't suppose it would be kosher to have a poll that listed 5 or 6 suppliers would it?
In a word, no.