• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What was your first box?

wildcatboy

I'm fairly new the this beautiful hobby/obsession. About a year deep into it now. I have really enjoyed trying a wide array of sticks. There is nothing better than the back porch, a cold one, and a good cigar after a long week of work. I started out loving the Connecticuts and have slowly moved to maduros as the 'go to' cigar. I'm always lurking in the darkness on this forum looking for new cigars to try. I pretty much go to the B&M every friday to pick out something new to try. I have found myself lately feeling like I need to stop buying 'singles' and grab a box.

On to my question...

How long did it take for you to purchase your first box?
What was it?

OK, since you have Castellini as your avatar, I will play ball. (Get it?) My first box was a box of King Edwards that I bought in 1985 when I was too young to drive. My first hand made box was a box of "Caribbean Rounds" that I purchased from the Tinder Box - it had a cool humidor style box that I kept for many years. It was not long after that when I bought my first box of Fuente. A box of Double Chateau. All of that is ancient history now.

Technically my first box was a box of Macanudo seconds. My first "real" box I believe was a box of RyJ Belicosos. I don't seem to be smoking a whole lot lately so my latest boxes have been Padron's and a box of Flor de Allones.

One thing I can tell you wildcatboy, is that the joy of opening a brand spanking new box never gets old. I don't buy many boxes but I have in the past and each one has been like opening a present on Christmas morning. Never gets old.

....my first box was this hot little redhead in tenth grade...oh, cigars...:p

Cigars - a box of Padron 2000's. A better starter box would be hard to find. Well, back to the redhead.....:laugh:

....my first box was this hot little redhead in tenth grade...oh, cigars...:p

Cigars - a box of Padron 2000's. A better starter box would be hard to find. Well, back to the redhead.....:laugh:

LMAO...somthing about those redheads! :thumbs:

PSD4 and Sancho Beli's ...oh and RyJ Beli's! (I bought a three pack!)

I also try new cigars when I visit the B & M on Fridays. I love the thrill of the hunt for new cigars!

My 1st box was Travis Club Senators, many years ago, before I new better :p.
Then I found CP and learned alot. My first box of "good" cigars were Pardon Londres Maduro's. I still smoke these regularly , at least twice a week, every Sat. and Sunday am.

Can't go wrong with Padrons :thumbs:

Good Luck!

I can't remember a week ago so its impossible to remember what my first box purchase was. One box I did split with my best friend was a box of Padron Ambassador back in the summer of 1999. We fired them up while throwing bricks of Blackcats down the stair well in a frat house. :laugh:

I working in Norman, Oklahoma in the early 90's. I picked up a box of Diamond Crowns.....

It took me a long time to go from a guy that just bought singles to a guy that bought boxes. My first box purchase was probably 3 or 4 years ago. It was a box of Cuba Libre Epicures. Until recently, I had two left, and I gave one to a great BOTL, and smoked the other one.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992. I bought a box and split a second box with a friend.

But what I've bought the MOST boxes of, over the years, has been San Cristobal Fabulosos. I think I'm closing in on ten boxes of those so far. Love 'em. :love:

~Boar

It took me a long time to go from a guy that just bought singles to a guy that bought boxes. My first box purchase was probably 3 or 4 years ago. It was a box of Cuba Libre Epicures. Until recently, I had two left, and I gave one to a great BOTL,.....
cool.gif
and smoked the other one.

my first box purchase was Fuente Brevas Maduro. finest short filler around. boy have I come a long way!

Usually buy 5er's for variety but back to the question, a box of La Flor De Cano Preferidos.

Wow, I haven't even thought of this for many years. I am pretty sure it was a box of JR El Rey del Mundo Robustos. I smoked them for years. The tissue wrapped variety.
They were really great cigars back then, and while still representing a decent value, they are not the same cigar. The originals were from a load of Tobacco that Llaneza babied into some really tasty filler. I still smoke them occasionally, but moreso the Rectangulare, Flor de Llaneza, Reserva Salado, the Petite Lonsdale, and the Cafe Au Lait.
I still say that Llaneza's small 32 ring cigars are second only to the cubans. He really packed a lot of flavor into those little smokes, and for the money, the Cafe Au Lait, and the JR Ultimate Habanito are hard to beat. Even Pepin's 32 ring smokes come nowhere close in flavor or burn quality.

Padron Lonnies, i each Nat and Maddy

Tim

PSD4s and Siglo IVs. Opening new boxes never does get old, especially if they're still sealed.

It was 1972, I think, it gets kind of foggy. A box of pre-hurricane Hugo, Royal Jamaican PC's, which I bought from Mr. Levin himself at Holt's in Philly.
Not only was it my first box, they were the first cigars I ever bought, period. I willed myself to be a cigar smoker.:rolleyes:

Doc

It was 1972, I think, it gets kind of foggy. A box of pre-hurricane Hugo, Royal Jamaican PC's, which I bought from Mr. Levin himself at Holt's in Philly.
Not only was it my first box, they were the first cigars I ever bought, period. I willed myself to be a cigar smoker.:rolleyes:

Doc

Doc, that last statement brought up another thread starter for me, thanks for the reminder.

I bought 2 boxes as I couldn't decide, Camacho corojo toro's and a box of Cienfuegos no.5. I just went organizing in my humi and I still have 2 of those Camchos still left. Sentimental value more than anything else now. The box of cienfuegos I still see in my house, probably has my daughters crayons she doesn't use anymore.

My first box was Puros Indios Reserva Maxima 2002 that a friend in Honduras sent me. The first box I bought myself was Monte Cristo 4's.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992. I bought a box and split a second box with a friend.

But what I've bought the MOST boxes of, over the years, has been San Cristobal Fabulosos. I think I'm closing in on ten boxes of those so far. Love 'em. :love:

~Boar

My first box purchase was also RP Vintage 1992. (Perfectos) They were pretty tasty from what I recall. I don't believe I've smoked any RP's in the past 2 years. It's funny how my taste in cigars has changed.