• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would age more gracefully?

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
looking to get a box of cigars to age for a long time, like 10 plus years. I have in mind either Padron Maduro 2000 or 3000 or something from LFD in similar size in the ligero, double ligero, oscuro, etc.
thanks.

It is my understanding that Padrons don't wage well, that they are best fresh.

The Padron X000 series age just fine, its the anniversario series which have already been aged that you take a chance on when aging for too long. As for the LFD they should mellow a lot over that time period. I personally don't care for a lot of what LFD does so I would go with the Padron X000 series. I gifted the last of my 8+ year old ones a while ago or I would send you one to try. Still had a lot of flavor and legs to go a few more years but had evolved and mellowed to a nice complexity that the X000 doesn't start with.

Emoshun sent me an 5 years aged LFD for the blind review. Nice consistent mellow smoke. Maybe he has more insight on the LFD side.

Ten years is a long time for any of the cigars mentioned. Remember, the tobaccos in the cigars you've listed are already aged. If you're intent on ageing something for that long, go Cuban.

Doc

I have a number of X000's and LFD's approaching the 10 yr mark. Both are good, but the LFD's (chisels and Lanceros) are remarkably better than what they started out as. The padrons are a little smoother (but some got really bitter).

I have a few left in my box of 2006 Padron 2000 Maddies, and I think they are some of the best sticks in my humidor. They are so smooth and flavorful, completely different that a box of 2000's you'd pick up today.

Can't speak to the LFD's, but I can endorse 10yr 2000 Maddies.

I'm with Tom and Doc on this one. I've had more consistent luck with good overall flavor and balance on aged CCs than anything else.

eta: Of the two you mentioned, I'd pick the Padron X000 series. Those I've had greater luck with.

Last edited:
If you're going to invest ten years in aging a cigar, make it worthwhile. A nice box of Upmann 'Sir Winston' comes to mind.....

Try finding a box of them right now. I haven't seen them in stock at any vendor for a few years now. I've been waiting for a box to pop up somewhere so I can get one....

Well there you have it. Another day I'm learning something new. :)

Try finding a box of them right now. I haven't seen them in stock at any vendor for a few years now. I've been waiting for a box to pop up somewhere so I can get one....

....you mean like these...??....:cool:

Sir_Winston.jpg

Scored these Jan last year....they do pop up, but you have to watch for them and be on 'em like you know what.

You guys have taken this in a direction that I wasn't prepared for. I am surprised at the number of responses opposed to aging baby LFDs or Padron X000s. I've had 2yr old padrona which were fantastic and thought that they would continue to get better years later. I thought that some of the super strong LFDs would have legs for long term aging. I may need to expand my options.

I'm curious to see what 10yrs is like on a Roma Craft Neanderthal. As far as NC's that I've aged, I've had some Opus X No5's at 15 years that have me convinced they could go a full 100, lol.

I rarely buy cigars with the intent of aging, although if you buy a lot more than you smoke, it happens.
I really like the few aged Fuente Anejos and Opus that I have smoked and have 4 boxes set back for that purpose. They are only 2 years old at this point and I will began slowly smoking them at 5 years.