• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Would YOU Do With $500 To Buy Cigars?

Carbonless

I got a call from a relative today asking me to put together an assortment of sticks for Xmas gifts to her 2 sons. She gave me a $500 budget ($250 each) and told me to just get them whatever I think they would want. I've smoked a bunch with these guys and they tend to like mild-medium and smaller vitolas such as robustos. These guys are relative newbies, so I'm thinking that it would be best to go with moderate-quality smokes that are a good value rather than get them fewer more expensive sticks. They have humidors, but generally run on empty and they end up going and overpaying at the local B&Ms (which are less-than-admirable in their selection, knowledge and price). I'd estimate that they smoke 1-3 sticks per week on average. Being that there's 2 of them I'll prob split whatever boxes I buy between the 2 and opt for more of a variety. I figured I would split it up between NCs and CCs. I'm probably going to order soon with the uptick in the exchange rate. My first thoughts are to start with a box each of Padron 2000 Naturals and Partagas Shorts (ISOM). What would you do??? (5ers ? boxes? singles?)

I would go with boxes, and I would look for moderately priced, quality smokes. I think your idea of the Padron 2K's is right on, except I would go with maduros. I would also personally look at something along the lines of Fuente 8-5-8's which can be found at some online retailers(and probably some of our CP vendors) in the $100 a box range(these are excellent mild-medium smokes). Sancho Panza's can be had for an excellent value as well. I'm not well enough versed in CC's to give you much advice there. Depending on how big their humidors are, you may want to look at getting them set up with some coolers and beads as well.

Buy them some BEADS as well as smokes.

edit - Whoops....that was mentioned! :blush:

I'd go with boxes.

Chateau Fuente SGs - you can find these for $75 and even lower online.
Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedro - can be had for about $70 or so.

Just 2 quick suggestions.

Devils Weed Robusto

Illusione CG4

Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos

La Riqueza #3

Cabaiguan Robusto X

Padron 2K Maduro

Buy a few boxes, and make a mix for eacg recipient. More economical.

edit to add

You buying a bunch of boxes then splitting them up btw the 2? Or buying each the same boxes?

I'd give one of the fine B&M owners that is a member here a call and ask them to put together samplers for you. You'll get a great selection of smokes sure to please the lucky receivers.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Is your relative looking for an adopted 3rd son? :laugh:

You can put one helluva sample pack together for that scratch. Good luck and have fun with it.

At Sam's Club you can buy almost 600 Grenaders for that much.

Think that one over hard before you jump into any other decisions. :laugh:

Well a cutter, ashtray and lighter would go with that selection of cigars.

I'd go with boxes.

Chateau Fuente SGs - you can find these for $75 and even lower online.
Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedro - can be had for about $70 or so.

Just 2 quick suggestions.

That's your best bet, IMHO. Any newb would be happy with that.

As a noob( like me) I would want to be introduced to as many differant quality smokes as possible. No differant than a well put together Newbie Sampler Trade.

First I'd get them a box of Padron 2000 as a go to gar. The Padron's gave me a barometer as to where good solid quality starts. Also something like the Sanco Panza Double Madouro. At $36 a box IMHO it cannot be beat.

Introduce them to the Pepin Line with a couple of 6 pack samplers. At this point you are only down $180 with about $320 to spend.

Then knock their socks off with some real quality smokes. Padron Anni's , a VSG or (2) ...you know the drill.

Maybe what you actualy do is have them join CP and use some of that money for a newbie trade...

good luck..sounds like alot of fun.

Frank

You buying a bunch of boxes then splitting them up btw the 2? Or buying each the same boxes?

Ya, that's what I was thinking...half a box each.

Thanks, some good thoughts here. The hardest part is going to be keeping my hands off the goods :whistling:

I would suggest Ashton Heritage Puro Sol and the Por Larranaga Cuban Grade.

The Puro Sol is a good milder stick, and I keep a few in the humi for noobs or if I want a good morning cigar to go with my coffee.

The Por Larranaga is a medium body cigar that is a good intro cigars to get them interested in full-body smokes. And these things are crazy cheap right now. CI and cigarplace.biz have 20 count boxes for $40 bucks.

Buy one Behike and make the split it...

If you're looking for some CC...Can't go wrong with:

MC #2s or #4s
PSD #4s
Cohiba Siglio VIs

Padron anything
Fuente Chateau sungrown
Illusione MK's
VSG Illusions
Pepin sampler is a great idea too...

Derek

My suggestion would be to go for some singles. Typically, you get at least a 10% discount when you purchase a full box. If you were to call a shop and tell them your situation I'd hope they would at least get you a 10% break on a assortment of cigars. Tell them you want some high-end and some good "every day" smokes in there. Also, I'd tell them to put two of every cigar they pick. That way if your relatives liked the cigar they'd have another to enjoy. And if they happen to get a plugged one or some sort of dud they'd have another to sample.

High End:
Davidoff Special R
Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario
Litto Gomez Small Batch No.2
God of Fire
Padron 1926/Ani.

Mid Level:
Tatuaje
Don Pepin
La Flor Dominicana
Ashton VSG

Every Day:
Oliva G
La Aroma de Cuba
Padron
Arturo Fuente
El Rey del Mundo
La Gloria Cubana

If you're going with full boxes definitely get some Padrons, though I find the Oliva Serie G are pretty darn good for the price as well.

Eric

If they've got a humidor, defiinitely get them some beads to go in them. How's their accessory situation? Xicar cutters would be nice too. I hate to say it but Thompsons has two Xi2 cutters for a decent price. Cigar tubes - I'm still waiting on someone to gift me a nice one!

As far as cigars go, how bout some Hemingway Short Stories or Signatures; x2 on the Tat Havana VIs; Ashton Classic for a milder smoke. I loved these when I was first starting out, now I'm craving something a little stronger; I think Padron thousand series is also a given from the other responses.

If you've got some left over, maybe some higher end - Davidoff, VSG, Winston Churchills.

Good luck, what an awesome gift to give and I bet it's even more fun to shop for!

I'm not sure about selection, but I'd certainly buy from Stinki's shop. Oh wait, that's me. LOL